Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Back from Brazil for a few days in Vermont

The trip to Brazil is over.  I did a separate blog for that trip: tomstriptobrazil.blogspot.com

I got home around noon on Friday May 31.  I did several loads of laundry and walked the dog.  We then invited Terry Bailey over for dinner - Ann was in South Carolina, not due home until Saturday evening, so Terry was very happy to join us.

Saturday I was at the Habitat ReStore and drove the truck with Ben H.  He is about 25 years old and is trying to figure out what he wants to do with his life.  We had spoken before about the possibility of his going to law school. 

Sunday, we were doing stuff around the house.  Sunday evening we went out to eat at Vermont Pub and Brewery in Burlington before going to the 8:00 p.m. show at the Flynn - the Branford Marsalis quartet.

Monday was my walking day.  First I walked the dog for the usual mile or so, then 3.2 miles to the Barrio Bakery to have breakfast with Ben, and then the mile to the Red Cross.  Normally I try to donate on Sunday, but the platelet donations were closed Friday, Saturday and Sunday for installation and training on new equipment and procedures.  It turns out that I was the first person to go through the new procedures and had three employees going through the new procedures checking and double checking the new instructions so that no mistakes were made.  So they started late and took longer than usual.  Plus, I fell asleep while donating which causes the machine to reset to a slower pace.  I then walked the 2.5 miles home, then walked the dog.  So a good day of exercise.  Monday evening, Ann and Terry met us on Church Street at 6:00 where we were listening to a local jazz quartet at a free concert in front of City Hall (all part of the ten day Burlington Jazz Festival).  We ate outside at the Scuffer Restaurant, directly across from the stage.  A very pleasant evening.

Ann showing Patty iPhone photos of their new condo in Greenville SC

Terry enjoying wine with me

The free concert

All of the restaurants were busy

The concert ended and they started taking down the signs.

Tuesday was another day of driving the truck at Habitat.  Tyler was the volunteer, 24 years old, medic in the US Navy Reserve.  Interesting guy - high school drop out who has turned his life around and was interested in going to CCV.  I encouraged him to do so.  Patty drove me to Habitat in the morning and we planned for her to pick me up on her way home.  However, I got done at 3:00, so I walked the 2.5 miles to Earls Bike Shop to pick up our bikes. After paying for the tune up and service, I rode mine around in the parking lot, then waited for Patty to come and get me and the bikes.

Today, I removed a bush so that Patty can expand the flower garden out front.  There is some other stuff to remove, but we need to get a pick axe to chop out the dense roots.  And soon, I will leave for my 3:00 flight to Newark and on to Phoenix.

No comments:

Post a Comment