Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Day Two in Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks, Sunday April 3

Before breakfast, I walked around the grounds of Wuksachi Lodge.  As this is still active bear country, anytime my walk took me away from buildings, cars and people, I would sing loudly to let the bears know I was coming.  For April 3, there was still a lot of snow - but I was told and had read that this is actually some 30 - 50 percent less snow pack than normal.



Behind Wuksachi Lodge, the trail goes across this bridge which is over a beautiful mountain stream.





To get some perspective on the depth of snow, I got Patty to pose next to the snow banks.



After breakfast, we continued north and west through the park.  We stopped at one vista where there was a group of huge sequoias right next to the road as well as at other vistas in the park.




















By midday, we reached Kings Canyon National Park and paid a brief visit to the visitors center.  We decided to hike the mile long trail to the General Grant Tree and the half mile loop around it.  Patty found large pine cones (not from sequoia trees, but from pine trees) and pussy willows.




















We left the parks late in the afternoon and arrived at our hotel in Clovis, CA, around dinner time.  After dinner, I went out for a walk and found one of the Clovis multi-use trails went towards the old downtown area.  While on it, I came across this homage to the Walking Doctor and the family of health care professionals who served Clovis for many years.  Clovis is a wealthy suburb of Fresno.



We then spent a quiet night in our hotel in Clovis.


No comments:

Post a Comment