Friday, June 26, 2020

We Continue to Stay at Home due to Covid-19, June 19 - 25, 2020

We celebrated many things this week.  Fathers' Day was Sunday June 21.  Megan sent me a very funny card.




Ben and Martha also sent me a Fathers' Day card that was made in Portland.




One day at Homeco Hardware Store, Patty was with me and encouraged me to get a new walking stick for Fathers' Day, this one made from a sassafrass tree branch in Texas.


June 21st was also our 45th Anniversary.  Ben and Martha also sent a card made in Portland for that.



Helen sent an anniversary card and I got one for Patty, as well as some flowers.  Since we can't go to restaurants, we had a cookout in the back yard.




Megan's 34th birthday was on June 22, so on Friday June 19, we drove from Flagstaff to Henry Cordes Park, just off the I-17 Prescott exit, and Megan drove from Phoenix.  We had a picnic lunch together to celebrate.  Face masks were used when not eating, as well as being outside and keeping our distance.



I spent five weeks working on a 1,000 piece jig saw puzzle.  Every day, I would try and towards the end, would get only a few pieces after an hour or more of searching.  This is what the puzzle should have looked like - it is called Night Sky Over the Grand Canyon (excuse my thumb).


This is how far I got when I finally surrendered and quit.


After receiving our biweekly CSA distribution, Patty made some cold sesame noodles that included pieces of the Armenian cucumbers from the CSA, home made sesame paste, peanuts and a variety of oils and spices.  It was too spicy for her, so I had it for two meals.  It was spicy but I still liked the flavor.


Paulie and I have been consistently walking more than a mile each morning.  I find it best for her if we stop and take a rest during the walk - here she is resting at the playground in Arroyo Park.


When we go out walking, we often see beautiful flowers.



Gov. Ducey allowed the state wide stay at home order lapse on May 17 and prohibited cities and counties from imposing strict rules.  People were eager to get out and do things, and many ignored the recommendations and pleas to wear face masks and keep social distance.  Restaurants, bars and clubs were flooded with people - without face masks and sitting too close.  The result was very predictable - Arizona now leads the nation in the rate of Covid-19 infections.  So on June 17, Gov. Ducey relented and allowed cities and states to mandate wearing of masks (but he did not issue a state wide order).  All of the large cities and most of the counties in Arizona have mandated wearing face masks, most starting around the 19th or 20th of June.  So we stay at home and watch what is happening, and dread the illness, death and damage to the economy.

No comments:

Post a Comment