Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Getting around in Arizona

Since returning to Arizona last week, I continue to be without a car.  This is good for me because it causes me to walk and bike more.

On tax filing day, Monday April 15, I needed to mail tax returns.  Last year, the local post office on Highland Ave closed.  It was less than a mile away, about 15-18 minutes walking.  The Indian School post office took over the responsibilities - but that is nearly three miles away.  So I checked the USPS website for post office locations.  Much to my surprise I found a closer solution.  The post office has been opening up small post office facilities inside other businesses; these offices do not have mailboxes or delivery services - but they do provide all USPS mailing services.  It is at 4500 N 12th St. a much more reasonable distance of 1.3 miles, 25 minutes walking.  So off I went and all went well.  I took a different route on the way back because I went to the grocery store and came across this beautiful planting of blooming cacti: prickly pear cacti with yellow blossoms, drought deciduous ocotillo with long red blooms at the top of their tall stems and medium height cholla with pink blossoms.




On Tuesday morning, while performing my usual volunteer duties as a docent at the Desert Botanical Garden, I was at the cactus station.  I have many items from people to look at, touch and learn about: dried cactus slices, internal skeletons of selected cacti (xylum cells that provide vertical support and carry water up from the roots; our samples were cholla, prickly pear, saguaro and totem pole cacti), seeds from saguaro fruit, and much more.  The station is located under a large Chilean mesquite tree.  And on this morning, I was again visited by a handsome cardinal.  He stayed above me for 5-6 minutes and chirped away continuously.



My trek to the Desert Botanical Garden requires me to ride my bike about 1.2 miles to the light rail, then a 35 minute ride through downtown Phoenix to the northwest corner of Tempe, then about 2.4 miles up a long gradual ride back into Phoenix, passing the stadium where the Oakland A's play spring baseball, the Phoenix Zoo and Papago park, finally ending at the Botanical Garden.  The good news is that the ride back to the light rail is all down hill.

On my trek Tuesday, much was in bloom - all sorts of cacti and wildflowers, and the palo verde trees were covered with yellow blossoms and the mesquite trees with their catkins.  It is good to stop and smell the roses (even when it affects my seasonal allergies).

Make it a great day!

3 comments:

  1. I suspect your red feathered friend was serenading his lady friend. It is, after all, Spring. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is indeed spring. Much to see and enjoy as we do things every day. How come I never noticed all of this when I was younger?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to see you out biking and walking, and nice pictures of the cacti!

    ReplyDelete