Thursday, September 1, 2016

A quiet week in Portland and Tryon State Park, August 17 to 24, 2016

The three flights from Dublin to Amsterdam to Chicago to Portland made Wednesday August 17 a very long day.  I got up before 4:00 a.m. Dublin time and got home after 8:00 p.m. Portland time, eight time zones in a little more than 24 hours.

Most days, besides readjusting Portland time, I would take several walks to get in my 25,000 steps per day.  I would often see colorful flowers and post photos of them on Facebook and hopefully bring some cheer to my friends.



I do not know the owners, but one of my favorite gardens is about a block north and east of Laurelhurst park.  This garden is simply wonderful.






On Friday, August 19, I noticed that Hawthorne Boulevard was closed off by police.  I later learned that a 15 year old girl had been killed while crossing the street.  The driver was a 20 year old student from Saudi Arabia who was speeding down the street, passing cars by using the left turn lane.  People put up many sad things to remember this sad situation.



Tryon State Park is the only Oregon State Park that is in a city.  It is in southwestern Portland and is a well maintained park.  On Tuesday Aug. 23, Patty and I spent more than three hours hiking an eight mile loop and exploring the visitor center.

Patty saw an amazing spider web amid the growth.



In spite of nearly being uprooted, this tree survived.


We came across this large slug.



We saw several signs commemorating the work of Eagle Scout projects.


Some parts of stumps from old growth trees remain.


All in all, a good week to get ready for my next adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment