Friday, September 16, 2016

From La Linea de la Concepcion to Madrid, Sept. 7 - 9, 2016

On my last day in La Linea, I went out early for my walk and walked to the big beach on the east side of the city and tried to capture the sunrise.





On my way back to the hotel, I came across this memorial to a local Flamenco musician.



I took a taxi to the train station in Algeciras at midday and then walked across the street to the bus station for lunch at the cafe there.


I caught the 3:00 train to Madrid, arriving around 8:30.  I rushed to the Hostal Bruña, checked in and left my luggage, then walked to Los Rosas, arriving around 9:30.  The ESG (English Speaking Group) was still in session, and I grabbed a beer and joined in with the discussions.


Then it was back to the Hostal - I grabbed a slice of pizza on Calle de Fuencarral.  Saturday morning, I was up early and took a long walk around Retiro Park - every time I go, I find new sections that I did not know existed.  Retiro is a fantastic park to explore.  Later, I texted my sister Helen with photos of my mid morning coffee.


After doing my online classes, I walked to the La Tremolina for the  Vaughan Town Tapas reception.  They used to hold these in Serpentine, a restaurant in the same building as Grupo Vaughan offices.  The Serpentine was a decent place with acceptable drinks and food - but La Tremolina was outstanding, both for drinks and food.  It is well worth the time to get there and it is less than a block from the Vaughan offices.

Sunday morning, I was out for another long walk and went by a nice bakery - I sent a photo to my sister Helen, urging her to expand her horizons and visit Madrid when she is in Europe, and not limit herself to Paris and nearby areas.


I checked out of Hostal Bruña at noon and started the walk to the Vaughan Town meeting point.  A little more than half way there, I stopped for lunch and had some nice gazpacho and huevos rotos con jamon.  And then I arrived at the Vaughan offices as the other Anglos and Spaniards started arriving for our week together at Vaughan Town 50/50 #11.

No comments:

Post a Comment