Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Off to Barcelona and Day Town, Sept. 2 - 3, 2016

On Friday Sept. 2, I took the train to Frankfurt airport.  After checking my suitcase and clearing security, I walked some in the airport and then used the Lufthansa Senator lounge - because I am Gold with United, I am considered Star Gold with Star Alliance airlines and that means free access to the middle level of Lufthansa Clubs (Business Lounge is lower and First Class is higher).  Senator lounges are nicer than any of the United Clubs I have used.  Plenty of food, beer, wine and alcohol, all self serve and without limitation.  Comfortable furniture and great wifi all add up to a great place to spend. 

When I went to the gate, I looked out at all the Boeing 747s and A380s across the tarmac.  It is just amazing that these double decker behemoths can fly.


Upon arrival in Barcelona, I checked transport from the hotel - 90 minutes by bus or 15 minutes by taxi.  I splurged and took the taxi, checked into my room and set out to explore the area.  The hotel was not in the city of Barcelona but in the province of Barcelona - the town or small city is Sant Just and it is a very upscale suburb of the city.  They have an excellent city park, Parc , with swimming pool, tennis, basketball, volleyball, football, fitness trails, picnic areas, hiking trails and more.  I enjoyed walking through the huge park and the very nice neighborhoods in the area.






Barcelona has a bike share program, but they also have a great bike parking system, Bici Box.  When you leave your bikes in these, they are completely sheltered and enclosed.


Grupo Vaughan promised us native English speaking volunteers dinner and a free night at the Hotel Hesperia Sant Just.  It turns out that only three of us showed up - Denise, Mike and myself.  We could also have guests stay with us for just 12 Euros, so Mike's girlfriend was there also as we enjoyed an excellent three course dinner with two bottles of wine and they even had live music for us.







Saturday, we found out that three of the Anglo volunteers did not show up, so all of the activities were two to one rather than one to one - but we persevered from breakfast, through four hours of activities, lunch and four more hours of activities.  Then we had a certificate ceremony and group photos.




After drinks and dinner, Sandra, Denise and I were staying at the hotel, so we all got another excellent three course dinner with wine and did not get billed for it, presumably because Grupo Vaughan had paid for seven volunteers to spend the night and have dinner.  All in all, an excellent hotel and experience - I would recommend doing Day Town Barcelona with Grupo Vaughan, and I hope to do it again myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment