Wednesday, January 10, 2018

A Quiet Week in Phoenix, Tuesday through Saturday, Jan. 2 - 6, 2018

Tuesday was my usual day as a docent at the Desert Botanical Garden, sunny and warm - warm enough that although the actual high was just 78 degrees, when I got to my car at the end of my shift, the car thermometer was showing in the 90s.


There was a full moon Tuesday night.  Actually, the full moon was Monday night - but it was full enough Tuesday night to make the night very pretty when I was out for a walk.  Unfortunately, my camera phone does not do a good job of capturing the moon.






My camera phone does a better job of capturing sunrises and sunsets, as seen in these photos from Wednesday morning.



Wednesday, I registered for care at the Veteran's Administration Medical Center and filed a claim for disability based on my hearing loss from my Air Force time in the 1960s working on the flight line around jet engines.  On my walk there, I passed over the canal on 7th Street and saw these ducks in the water.



On my way home, I walked through Steele Indian School Park and saw many people with their dogs.  It brought back many fond memories of our walks there with Mr. Shadow - this month marks a year since he died.





Thursday, I started a new volunteer gig with our friend Jane.  We did a two hour shift at the central kitchen of St. Vincent de Paul - we cut up several hundred pounds of fresh potatoes.  They cook the food for more than 4000 meals every day, and then serve it at a cafeteria there and six other locations in Phoenix.


Friday had a pretty sky with blue, pink and white.


Saturday was a long day as we waited for my sister Helen to arrive.  Due to the big storm Thursday and Friday, and the minus ten degrees Saturday, nearly all flights in and out of Boston were delayed - her flight was delayed some three plus hours.  So she did not get in until after midnight and I did not get her back to the condo until one a.m. Sunday.


1 comment: