Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Vaughan Town Days 2 and 3, Belmonte, Spain, Jan. 22 and 23, 2018

Unknown to most of us, Monday was market day.  A hundred or so vans came to town and put out their wares for sale.  Besides all kinds of clothes, small appliances and household goods, there were even dry goods from grocery stores (toilet paper, paper towels, etc.) even though there is a full service Dia supermarket in town.



I continue to find areas in the hotel where the old ruins have been preserved and the hotel keeps getting bus loads of tourists in to see the ruins of the palace and the town.





In one of the rooms with the ruins, there is a model of what the town used to look like.  Our hotel is the palace on the left and the castle is in the center rear.


Puerta de la Estrella is one of the gates I have walked through and which is in the mockup.


There is a very large and ornate cemetery behind the hotel.


The old and the new, traditional windmills are next to cellphone towers and electrical power lines.




Those windmills are on the hill behind our hotel - from there, you can look back to see the castle, again note the contrast with antennas and towers.







For all of my one on ones, I have gone for a walk with each Spaniard.  Besides getting me to my goal of 15,000 steps per day, this also gets me to see more of the town.  While it is not a large town, I continue to find new things.  On Tuesday, that included finding the other remaining gate to the old walled town, Puerta de Almudi.



And Tuesday, I also was able to get a better view of the castle.


And we continue with one-to-ones, plus entertainment - and I am one of the coaches for the four debate teams.  My team has to argue against the new British law which requires all cigarette packages to have no advertising or logos - all must have the same font and color, and government prescribed messages on the back.  This will be an interesting debate.




No comments:

Post a Comment