Sunday, February 24, 2013

A mishmash of events from January and February

I failed to keep up with my blog for a bit; I could use the excuse that I was busy teaching five classes (two ended Fri. Feb. 15, one ended Sun. Feb. 17 and one ended Fri. Feb. 22 - so now I just have one class going) - but I had the time.  I was just lazy.

When Helen was here, we visited Jane McNamara to watch the New England Patriots game on Sunday Jan. 20.  That was the day when it was 55 degrees at Foxboro Stadium outside of Boston but only 40 degrees in Phoenix.  The Patriots won that game.




My long time colleagues and friends, Tom and Rachel McCarthy, just retired from what had been the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service and is now the Citizenship and Immigration Services division of the U.S. Dept. of Homeland Security.  We began working together in 1987 and even though I retired in 2004, we have remained friends - but they just now retired (they are young).  Tom has always had a BMW and they are now in Europe to take delivery of a new BMW at the factory, and using it on an extended vacation in Europe.  Before they left, I got these photos of an older BMW owned by a neighbor in our condos in Phoenix.





I went back to Vermont Feb. 6 - 11 for a meeting of the VSC Advanced Standing Committee, to administer the LSAT and give platelets at the American Red Cross.  I managed to be there for winter storm Nemo.  This is the storm that dropped 36 inches of snow in New Haven and 25 inches in Boston.  In Burlington, it was less than a foot - no big deal (central and southern Vermont got much more).  Here are some photos I took while out walking our dog Shadow.





Back at the Desert Botanical Garden in Phoenix, I am a Tuesday Docent.  That means that whenever I am in Phoenix, I spend Tuesdays at the DBG with the nicest bunch of volunteers.  We give tours, man stations (exhibits) and help visitors find their way around the garden.  One cooler day, two docents were dressed nearly identically and asked me to take their photo.  Yvonne and Leslie matched right down to their shoes.



No comments:

Post a Comment