Sunday, February 24, 2013

Another visit to Spain

I left Phoenix Wednesday morning, Feb. 20.  During my four hour layover in Philadelphia, my wife called from Scottsdale AZ to let me know it was snowing there.  This was part of the storm that dropped several inches of snow in Marana AZ (just north of Tucson) where the PGA golf tournament was delayed.  I arrived in Madrid on Thursday morning, Feb. 21.  I spent the bulk of Thursday, Friday and Saturday finishing up grading exams and papers for the classes that had just ended.  But while taking a break, I walked through Puerta del Sol plaza and took this picture of the blood donor bus for my friends at the Red Cross in Burlington.


I made it to the Carpe Diem Cafe for the Friday night English Speaking Group and Saturday evening (yesterday) to the Vaughan Town reception and tapas.  I ended up taking two anglos back to central Madrid to show them around, assuming my usual Sherpa Tom role.

Today, we got on the bus and have successfully made the trip to El Hotel Del Rancho in Torrecaballeros, Segovia, Spain.  This is an excellent four star hotel and resort.  We had multiple choices for all three courses for our lunch.  For the second course, I chose swordfish with asparagus, onions, squash and shrimp - very, very good.


The hotel/resort is quite interesting.  There are many murals on the exterior of the many buildings.  This one has many famous faces.  As best I can tell, starting at bottom left, they are Fidel Castro, Marilyn Munroe, John F. Kennedy, Imelda Marcos (?), Queen Elizabeth, Martin Luther King, Archbishop Richelieu, Gorbachev and the mystery man - if you know, please leave a comment.


The hotel rooms all come with full bath and shower (unusual for Spain - usually you just get one but not both).



My room has a queen size bed, closet with safe (and bathrobes and slippers), desk, TV and minibar.


 And here is the view from my window - yes, that is snow on the roof.  Torrecaballeros is located just west of the Guadarama Mountains and National Park.  I have done Vaughan Town at Rascafria which is on the east side of the mountains.


And what does it cost me to spend a week at this four star hotel? For all six days and five nights, I must speak English with the Spaniards who are working to improve their English skills.  For being willing to speak English for the week, I get the week in a four star hotel with meals and wine with all lunches and dinners.  It is a dirty job, but somebody has to do it.



No comments:

Post a Comment