Friday, March 15, 2013

Vermont, and then return to Phoenix

Last Friday, I had several meetings at Johnson State College.  One was with the students who are going to Brazil with Prof. Henrique Cezar and me in May.  There are a couple of adult students (old enough to have their own kids in high school) and eight students who are traditional age.  We went through getting the visa applications submitted online.  This Friday (today) those who need photos taken will have that done on campus.  Henrique will take all the passports and photos with him to Boston to get everyone's visa.

Then I had a meeting with Margo Warden, director of the First Year Seminar program.  I am tentatively scheduled to teach a FYS class in the fall on Friday mornings - the focus will be on globalization.

Most of the weekend, I did stuff around the house and online for classes.  Sunday morning, I did my usual routine of giving three units of platelets at the Red Cross Blood Center in Burlington.

Vermont had unseasonably warm weather while I was there.  Before flying Monday, I took my last walk with Shadow.  As you can see, there is virtually no snow left. Temps were in the 50s.




I got a free upgrade on the flight from Burlington to Newark on their Q-400 propeller driven plane.  There are three rows of 1 + 2 first class seats and the rest of the plane is 2 + 2 rows of seats.  The first five rows are economy plus with extra legroom, the rest are regular seating.  On the flight to Phoenix, I had the entire exit row all to myself.  Since the exit row and all rows in front are economy plus, you either have to pay to sit there or be Silver Premier or higher.  One guy tried to move from the back to the exit row (across the aisle from me) after we got underway - and the flight attendant was kind enough to ask him to return. 

On Tuesday, I did my regularly scheduled day as a docent at the Desert Botanical Garden.  Since we sold the Volvo V-50 in February, I am here without a car.  So I ride my bike for the mile plus to the Central and Camelback light rail station.  I had bought tickets before going to Vermont, so I had tickets for this week but I got there as the train arrived and did not get a chance to activate the ticket.  Wouldn't you know it, the one time I ride without an activated ticket is when the police are on the train checking tickets.  The officer manually dated the ticket I used - when activated, tickets can be used all day long for unlimited rides for that day.  After some 35 minutes on the train, I got off at Washington and Priest, and then biked the 2.5 miles (a gentle uphill ride) to the Garden for busy day.  This is school vacation week and there was good weather - so it was wall to wall people all day long.  The bike ride back to the train is pleasant as it is virtually all down hill.

On Wednesday, it was back to the Garden - I volunteered for a shift at the Butterfly Pavillion.  The bike, train, bike routine went smoothly, as did my time at the Garden.

The spring butterflies are non-native species shipped in from Florida - I had seen many of these last November when Patty and I visited Megan and Jon in Key West at the Butterfly and Nature Conservancy.  Many flowers are in bloom and the butterflies are happy and active.  Here is a white peacock (anartia jatrophae).


And here is a Painted Lady (vanessa cardui).


More info can be found at http://www.dbg.org/events-exhibitions/spring-butterfly-exhibit

Thursday, we set a record - the record high temperature for the day was 91 degrees and it hit a new record of 95 degrees.  So we are having a hot time in the old town now.

And yesterday, I got confirmation from the director of the Language Education Institute of the Mongolian International University.  He is plugging me into their schedule for the week I am there before I head off for two weeks with Habitat for Humanity.  All of the pieces are falling into place for that trip.

Life is good.  Make it a great day.

2 comments:

  1. Let us know what happens with MIU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will do that - I am most interested to see Ulaanbataar and MIU, as well as the build in Darkhan, and some time playing tourist.

    ReplyDelete