Thursday, July 17, 2014

Phoenix and Prescott

Last week was a time to regroup from all the travel of the prior six weeks.  And we also started work on updating the condo.  Among other things, we removed all wall hangings, much of the furniture and much of our clothing.  Patty tried some sample colors on various walls (you can see the green square sample to her left when she is on the ladder).  Eventually, she decided that three of the walls in living/dining area would be yellow and the other wall would be green.



The summer monsoon season has started, bringing us high winds, haboobs (wind storms that pick up dust and create zero visibility) and occasional thunderstorms.  Many mornings, I try to take a walk early in the morning, even though Shadow is not here. Last Tuesday, Patty and I both went for an early walk in North Mountain Park.  Other days, I went by myself to Steele Indian Park; with Shadow, we would drive there and walk in the park - alone, I walk to the park and then walk in the park.  One stormy morning, I saw this tree down as I entered the park.


To the south, the sky was very angry.  To the east, it was a beautiful sunrise.



Wednesday, we went to Federal Pizza - the company that runs this and five other restaurants gives free dessert for birthday celebrants.  The photos did not come out well, but Meg, Jane, me, Patty, Cathy and Madeline had a grand time.


Patty and I bought a new light for the dining area.  I removed the old track light (you can see the dark outline on the ceiling) but was uncomfortable with putting up the new light - there was insufficient support for the weight of the light.  On Thursday, we had Gus come to help install the light (he is a local handyman recommended by Jane, Anne and Shawn).  He got the right kind of metal junction box and attached it to a stud, and then he and I were able to get the light properly attached.



Anne and Shawn rented a condo in Prescott for the month of July so that they could escape the heat - Prescott is more than 5,000 feet above sea level and is usually 20 degrees cooler than Phoenix.  They invited Patty and me to join them to celebrate Shawn's and my birthday (we are four days apart).  I had planned to go with them, but Home Depot finally called and scheduled the delivery of the flooring for Friday.  So, Thursday afternoon, Patty left for Prescott with Anne.  Friday around 11:00, we had 42 boxes of Rustic Maple laminate, seven rolls of underlayment and assorted other materials.  And then I drove to Prescott.  Friday night, Shawn made a nice dinner for us - we all had ample libation and stayed at the condo.  After breakfast Saturday, Patty, Anne and I went for a 90 minute hike.  Saturday afternoon, the four of us went to Bin 239 for a joint birthday celebration - again, great company, good food and ample libation.

Sunday, Anne and I went for a 45 minute hike, and then the four of us went into town to visit the annual Prescott Indian Art Market.  Each year, they hold this three day event at the Sharlot Hall Museum. Some 50 or more native American artisans come with their handmade wares to display and sell.  They had many displays ("Indian Cell Phone" = smoke signals) around the grounds - I think they were intended to be funny to white people but were demeaning to native Americans.


They also had lovely gardens with many roses in bloom.



After lunch at Rosa's Pizza and Pasta (where the World Cup final between Germany and Argentina was on and being cheered), Patty and I returned to Phoenix.  We anticipated the flooring to be done this week, but that did not happen - there was an obvious miscommunication between the installers and me.  Of course, there was nothing in writing to clarify who was at fault.  The good news is that has allowed more time painting activity, including finishing the walls and painting the ceiling in the living/dining area.  Patty does the painting, while I move the furniture and lights, remove and install electrical outlet and switch faceplates, get supplies at the store, etc.  

Last week, I had my first doctor's appointment under Medicare and have found a nice PCP (Primary Care Physician).  Today, I found a new dentist (following Anne's recommendation).  With finally having no residence back in Vermont, Patty and I have to get new connections for medical, dental and vision care here in Phoenix.

And tonight, I start back at the Flashlight Tours at the Desert Botanical Garden -  I look forward to helping out as I have done for the past several years. 


No comments:

Post a Comment