Thursday, October 1, 2015

A quick stop in New England on the way back to Phoenix Sept. 23 - 26

After delightful flights in business class on Lufthansa from Budapest to Munich and Munich to Boston, I arrived in New England on Wednesday evening Sept. 23.  After a quick trip through Immigration and Customs and retrieval of checked luggage, I caught the Logan Express bus to Framingham.  I was met there by my sister Helen and her husband Phil.  We drove to their condo in Hudson MA where I enjoyed some wine and discussion with them.

Thursday morning, I got up and did my online classes.  We had coffee and breakfast; around 8:30 Helen and I left for Vermont with me driving.  We stopped at the new northbound rest area on I-93 where NH has a state liquor and wine store, and there is now a gas station, several restaurants, several stores and restrooms.  We then continued north to Randolph VT where I made a quick visit to the Vermont Technical College campus.  One of my online classes is at VTC and I wanted to meet with the imbedded librarian who works with my class.

After a short visit at VTC, we continued on to Montpelier, arriving a little after noon.  We met our friend Jean at Jay Morgan's Restaurant and had a fine lunch together, culminated by this large and tasty dessert - even sharing it between the three of us, we did not eat it all.  It was that large, and it was very tasty.







































After lunch, we walked around Montpelier for about 45 minutes and happened to run into Gov. Peter Shumlin and chatted with him briefly.

After saying our goodbyes to Jean, Helen and I continued on to Johnson State College where I had a scheduled meeting with Kaja, the director of the Criminal Justice Program.  The three of us chatted for a couple of hours, and I committed to return in February to speak at a CJ program.  We then drove to the Fledermaus Teahouse, a new restaurant in Johnson.  It is owned and operated by my friends Renate and Glenn.  We had an excellent dinner, and a chance to visit with Renate and Glenn.  After dinner, we drove back to a hotel in Montpelier for the night.

Friday morning, we drove to the Montpelier CCV campus (Community College of Vermont), where I had a meeting with Val, the director of the JSC EDP (External Degree Program) at 8:00 and an Advanced Standing Committee meeting at 8:45.  At ASC meetings, a panel for four faculty discuss 7 - 8 portfolios from the Assessment of Prior Learning classes.  Adult students in APL classes spend a semester putting together a portfolio of an autobiographical essay, learning components for classes they seek credit, and letters from people who can document what the adults have learned outside of formal academic classes.  We receive the portfolios about four weeks before the ASC meeting, read them before the meeting and then based upon the documentation, determine what credit students can be given for learning outside of formal college classes.  These meetings typically take about four hours.

A little before 1:00, Helen and I headed south.  We stopped twice, including once at the new southbound rest area on I-93, again with a state wine and liquor store, gas station, restaurants and stores.  Helen went shopping and bought several bottles of liquor.

Friday evening, we went to Jennifer's home.  Jennifer is the younger daughter of Helen and Phil.  We had a nice dinner together with Jennifer, her partner Anthony and her two sons, sharing pizza, salad, subs and wine.

Saturday morning, Helen and I went for an hour long walk, and stopped at a local Portuguese bakery.  Helen bought numerous items for our brunch.  My niece Leta and her husband Billy joined us in Hudson for brunch at Helen and Phil's home.  After brunch, Helen and Phil drove me to the Framingham Logan Express, we said our goodbyes and I took the bus to Logan Airport in Boston.

After checking bags and zipping through security (I qualify for TSA Pre-check because of my NEXUS status), I sat and worked in the new United Club.  I was able to enjoy a beer and snacks while I waited for my flight.


After a long flight to Denver, I did the same at the United Club there.  Some people think I have a love of beer - they are correct!


My lovely wife Patty met me at the airport and we came home, where I began to decompress after five weeks on the road.  It is good to be home.

No comments:

Post a Comment