Thursday, November 2, 2017

Phoenix, Sierra Vista and Vermont, October 2017

After Megan left, I did some cleaning and brought stuff to Goodwill and Lions International - they have a program for reusing old eyeglasses and cellphones.



Megan sent some beautiful flowers to her mom.



I worked on a proposal to redevelop part of the Carlyle Condo property into an off leash dog run - the HOA owns a large chunk of land that could easily be fenced and made into a dog area that would be close enough for residents to use without having to drive - the closest one is more than a mile away at Steele Indian Park.




The HOA residents have complained about trespassing, vandalism and theft.  Part of that is due to the recent increase in graffiti and tagging - so I gathered photos of work that needs to be done on HOA property outside the fence.  A contractor is now doing the stucco repairs and repainting of all exterior surfaces, but that work is all inside our gates and fences - the outside areas need to be done as well.  I presented both the dog run and maintenance work at the October Board meeting.
















After putting those reports together for the upcoming Board meeting, I went for a walk after dinner.  It had cooled down some from the record highs we were having in October.


There were problems with the pool, so they drained the pool to make the repairs to the pump and heater - but emptying the pool created other problems.  The drains are all connected and when there is a clog, what goes down one drain comes back up through another drain.


On another walk, I came across a fun sign with which I agree.


Three new restaurants are opening within a block of our condo - Meaningful Dining will replace a garage, Farm & Craft will replace one that was only open for a year and Pomegranate Cafe (no photo) will be across the street in the Basha's shopping center.



Patty sent me out shopping for artificial vines and trees to put on our patio - live plants are not good because you need to be here year round or have someone who can care for them when you travel.






We ended up deciding on some fake grape vines to give us some sense of privacy with one open end of the patio - and we did add a few live plants to add some color.


On the 20th and 21st, I drove to Sierra Vista and taught my classes at Wayland Baptist University.  And we continued to have unseasonably warm weather for late October.


This was on my after dinner walk on the 25th, before I headed to the airport.


That evening, I flew to Chicago and on to Burlington - less than 12 hours later, on the morning of the 26th, it was rainy and cool - 49 degrees when I picked up the rental car.


My first stop was Lake Champlain Chocolates where I bought some goodies for the Halloween potluck for the Tuesday Docents at the Desert Botanical Garden, and then stopped at Waterfront Diving Center to discuss with the owner about our cancellation out of the diving trip to Roatan in November.


In Jeffersonville, I stayed at the Smugglers Notch Inn as usual.  There was still a lot of good foliage in Burlington, but in Jeffersonville it was mostly gone - but there was a lot of homes decorated for Halloween.




This house is now used by the community of Jeffersonville for a variety of things.  And it was nicely decorated.



After class on Friday the 27th, in the warm afternoon sun, I came across this butterfly.


And my walk on the Jeffersonville Greenway was vastly different from what I had seen in September.  This is where the canoe and kayak rental office had been located - now all is gone for the winter.



After class on Saturday, I turned in the keys to the class room and office I use at JSC - the rest of the semester is online and this was my last trip to Vermont for 2017.


I returned home to Phoenix that night and had a quiet weekend before heading to the DBG for my usual Tuesday as a docent.  In the morning, I did an hour at the Mesquite station before Charla took over, then an hour at the Agave station.  While there, I saw this flock of Desert Quails playing in a newly planted section.


After lunch, I did an hour at the Cactus station, but it was deader than a door nail.  And so ends another month for Sherpa Tom.

No comments:

Post a Comment