Wednesday, December 1, 2021

Back in Phoenix, Nov. 16 to Dec. 1, 2021

Monday night, I got back from Madrid a litle after 10:00 p.m., 23 hours door to door.  Tuesday morning, I had a faculty meeting via Zoom with NVU, then went to the DBG as a docent, followed by the monthly Carlyle HOA Board meetings from 5:30 to 7:30 - it was the largest number of people attending a board meeting in years.

Friday evening, I volunteered as a Path Guide for the Alice Tatum concert at the Desert Botanical Garden.  I got a sneak preview of some of the Chihuly art work that will be on display December through May.



It was a beautiful moonlit night - I got this photo of the full moon before the clouds left.  Later it was a perfectly clear sky.

Even before Thanksgiving, people were putting up Christmas decorations.  The Windsor Historic District is on the other side of 7th Street from us.  Many residents go all out with their decorations.  This house had so many incredible displays.




Thanksgiving day, Nov. 25, was a somber day.  Patty was in Flagstaff, Megan worked and I was in Phoenix dog sitting Piper while Megan was at work.  I learned that my friend and fellow docent Ken had died late Wednesday - on his 86th birthday.  Saturday, Patty drove to Phoenix and the three of us had Thanksgiving dinner together.

On Sunday, we removed the bottom up blind in the living room.  It was seven years old, but only gives privacy when the blinds are closed which eliminates the natural light and view.

The new top down/bottom up cellular shade arrived and we installed it, and Megan put together and decorated her Christmas tree.


While walking Piper, we came across another well decorated home in Windsor Square.  The owner was coming out as I was taking pictures and said it was a work in progress.





Monday the 29th, I helped at the DBG to take the 8,000 or so luminarias out of storage, got them clean, added sand as needed and inserted candles and cups - different volunteers placed them around the Garden.  Afterwards, they had breakfast for us.  Later, one of my Angloville and Vaughan Town friends was in town.  We met for a tour of the Desert Botanical Garden and then had lunch at the Patio Cafe.

On the 30th, it was Tuesday so I did my usual Docent Day at the garden - we had a great luncheon with retired Docent Charla and retired Volunteer Coordinator Nancy.  It was great to see them as it has been a couple of years since seeing either.



On Wednesday evening Dec. 1, I finished packing and got ready for my next trip to Spain and Vaughan Town.  Covid numbers have started increasing in Spain, but they are still way below Arizona.  The Omicron variant has everyone worried.  I expect that the rules for me to return to the USA will change on Dec. 2, probably after I have left for Spain.  Hopefully I am prepared and all will go well.





 
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment