Wednesday, August 28, 2024

Estacion Inglesa August 26 - 31, 2024, Mengibar, Jaen, Spain - NOT

I flew to Madrid with every intention of participating in another wonderful English immersion program with Estacion Inglesa.  There was only one problem - I did not take covid precautions even though I had plenty of masks with me.  As noted in my previous post, I flew from Phoenix to Chicago to Frankfurt to Madrid arriving around 4:00 p.m. Friday afternoon - three flights, four airports.  I took a cab to the hotel, rode the metro from the hotel to Parque Santander and then back to the hotel - one taxi, two metros, one group meeting (the meeting was outside).  Saturday and Sunday, I went to a museum, a couple of stores, had brunch both days at the hotel.  On none of those things did I wear a mask as I should have.  I started feeling bad Sunday evening but twice tested negative for covid.  I got worse over night and Monday morning, I twice tested positive for covid.  I called to cancel out of Estacion Inglesa, booked a room for Monday through Sunday at Paco Rooms, a small hostel where I could avoid people. There is no front desk check in, rather I emailed them a copy of my passport and they sent me the codes to the door on the street, the door to the hallway and the door to my room.



The good news is that I had brought a half dozen covid tests with me and a five day supply of Paxlovid. The weather was good so I was able to find sidewalk cafes each day for a late breakfast and would be able to avoid being inside with others.  One morning was Corredera Bakery.


Another morning, it was Ultramines del Coso.


 For dinner, I found both a Dia Market and a Carrefour Express within easy walking distance to quickly buy something to bring back to my room - limiting my exposure to other people.

 

Because I was so tired and sore, I only did some of my PT exercises on Monday, and none on Tuesday.  I was back to doing most of them on Wednesday, also to almost feeling normal by bedtime on Wednesday.  Thursday morning I was back to the full set of exercises.

Two more days of isolation and Paxlovid, then testing again for covid.  Assuming I test negative Saturday, I will go out shopping while wearing a mask, looking for Spanish Manchego cheese and Valor chocolates to bring back as gifts for friends.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment