Friday, April 3, 2015

Megan visits for the last two weeks of March

On Sunday morning, Patty and I volunteered at the Breakfast with the Butterflies event at the Desert Botanical Garden.  This is the last year for this event; we controlled access to the breakfast area and then had a free breakfast for our efforts.

Megan arrived late on Sunday evening March 15.  Monday, we all just relaxed around the house and got caught up on who had done what.  Tuesday, I did my usual Docent day at the Desert Botanical Garden and the bi-monthly HOA board meeting in the evening.  Wednesday, the three of us hiked at Brown's Ranch - up and over Brown's Mountain, then over to Catherdral Rock and then back to the trail head.  More and more plants are in bloom.





Megan and Patty atop Brown's Mountain Overlook









On Thursday, the three of us went to the APC (American Pilgrims Club) Tertulia at the Refuge Bar and Cafe.  We chatted with other people who have either hiked one of the Caminos in Spain, or like Patty and I, planning to do so.  On Friday afternoon, we met up the McNamara clan at Alexis Patio for drinks and dinner; Anne, Shawn, Meg, Jane, Cathy, Rob, Megan, Patty and I had a great time eating and drinking.

On Saturday afternoon, Patty and Megan went to see the modern dance performance of Momix at the Scottsdale Performing Arts Center.  They had a great time while I stayed home and relaxed.

On Sunday afternoon, the three of us went to the Annual Tuesday Docents party.  In past years, it was held at Mike and Debbie's home, but this year it was at Leslie and Pat's home.  An added feature this year was a live music performance for the last hour.  Megan got to meet some of the docents and we all had good food, good drinks and good companionship.

Monday, we hiked Shaw Butte.




Tuesday, I did my usual Tuesday Docent Day but only until 1:00.  When I got back, Patty and Megan went out shopping.  I had an early night, got up at 2:30 a.m., got picked up at 3:15 by Super Shuttle and caught the 5:00 a.m. flight to Houston, and then on to Boston.  Once there, I took the Logan Express to Framingham where I was met by Helen.  We dropped off my things at Helen and Phil's condo, then picked up pizza and went to Jennifer and Anthony's for dinner.  We had a pleasant evening of pizza and wine and good discussion, and I got to catch up somewhat on Jennifer and Anthony and the boys Allie and Nate.

Thursday, while Phil went to work, Helen and I drove to Heywood Hospital in Gardner where we met my younger brother Gary and his wife Lucy.  Gary was diagnosed with Stage 4 cancer in his lungs in December and had been getting chemotherapy (now stopped) and continued radiation therapy, plus a lot of drugs to deal with the symptoms.  We sat through his appointment with his nurse practitioner and then the four of us had lunch at the hospital.  Gary was having a good day and was able to visit with us and eat a moderate lunch with us.  He is not long for this world.

Friday March 27, Helen and I left at 6:00 and drove north to Montpelier.  I did another session of evaluating portfolios for the Assessment of Prior Learning program while Helen met with Jean to discuss their summer trip to Ireland and France.  After lunch, Helen and I drove back to Hudson where we met Phil for dinner at the Horseshoe Pub.  Back in Phoenix, Patty and Megan went to the Agave on the Rocks event Friday evening at the Desert Botanical Garden - some 15 food vendors had samples for everyone, there were several musical groups playing and the entry fee covered the food and the first margarita.  They used Uber rides to get there and back so both could drink without worrying about having to drive.

Saturday, Phil and I left for the Logan Express at 5:00 to catch the 6:00 a.m. bus.  We arrived at 5:30 and I caught that bus instead.  My 8:00 flight was delayed about 30 minutes by the wet, heavy snow and the need to have the plane deiced.  After leaving in the snow and connecting in Houston, I arrived about 3:00 p.m. in Phoenix to a temperature of 97 degrees.  It turns out that record high temps were set over the weekend.

Sunday morning, there were beautiful skies as I walked the dog early in the morning.



Megan, Patty and I left about 6:30 for Granite Mountain Trailhead.  We hiked Bootleggers Trail to Granite Mountain Loop, took a break about 3 miles in and then continued around and back to the trailhead.  



On Monday, we ran errands and went out for a late lunch at Christos.  On Tuesday, Megan went with me for a shortened Docent Day at the DBG and got to visit and eat lunch with other docents.  Then it was time to pack and eat a last dinner in Phoenix.  Megan and I got up at 4:00 a.m. Wednesday - that was not an April Fools trick even though it was April 1.  I drove her to the airport and she caught her 6:00 a.m. flight to Seattle where she had to hang out for several hours before catching the afternoon flight to Ketchikan and then drive to their new apartment.  She is now all settled in there.

No comments:

Post a Comment