Friday, July 15, 2016

Portland Area Parks: Sandy River Delta Park July 11, 2016

On Monday July 11, while Patty went for her flying lesson in Troutdale, I went to the nearby Sandy River Delta Park.  It is run by the US Forest Service and is free to use.  I discovered that only one trail required dogs to be on leash - all others allow dogs to be off leash, so the park had many people out with their dogs.  I started on the Confluence Trail which begins in open fields and has many nice wildflowers.





After about a mile, the trail went into forested are that is a reforestation project.




I arrived at the wildlife viewing blind at the far end of the Confluence Trail where the Sandy and Columbia Rivers meet.  There was a nice ramp up to a slatted viewing area.



The vertical slats have the date each animal was observed by Lewis and Clark, the name then, the common name now, the scientific name and the status now (endangered, threatened, etc.) - for about 100 different animals.





The horizontal handrail on the ramp gives the information about the blind being given by the First Peoples of the Lower Columbia Basin.













From there, I followed the border trail back to the entrance.


I then went out on the Meadow Trail and Meadow Road where I learned more about Sandy River Delta Dam Removal Project. 


There are several other trails and I will return to explore more of this large and interesting park.

No comments:

Post a Comment