Sunday, February 24, 2019

Off to Madrid and Vaughan Town in Gredos, Feb. 14 - 22, 2019

Thursday, Super Shuttle got me to the airport as scheduled and I boarded the United flight to Newark as scheduled.  We taxied out to the end of the runway -  and sat there for more than 90 minutes.  There was nothing wrong with the plane, but apparently there was some problem with maintenance records.  Finally we taxied back to the gate - but we could not deplane.  Maintenance people came on board, verified what had been done and after another hour, we taxied back out and finally took off two and a half hours late.  That means the scheduled three hours between my arrival and the departure for Madrid was down to less than 30 minutes.  I was able to sprint to my flight, but only hoped that my luggage would make it.

Friday morning, I arrived in Madrid and discovered that my luggage did not make it.  I made arrangements with United to have it delivered to Hostal Ivor where I would stay Friday and Saturday night.  Then I took the Metro into Nuevo Ministerios and went to the Starbucks that is in El Cortes Ingles there - there is great wifi from the store plus restrooms, along with a large latte and croissant that I consumed while doing my class work online.  It was a sunny day, so I chose to take the four km walk to Calle Arenal where the hostal is located.  As I neared downtown, I passed by a group of street musicians - very different from anything in the USA.


Friday evening, I walked the five kms to Cafeteria Via 22  on Calle de Cartagena to join Richard's English Speaking Group.  As usual, there were a few of us Anglos and a dozen or more Spaniards, all trying to figure out some idioms that Richard had prepared for us.  I took the Metro back towards the hostal only to find out that because of construction, everyone had to get off two stops before where I planned - so my walk was a bit longer than planned.

On Saturday morning, I stayed at the hostal and my luggage was delivered around 10:45.  On United Airlines app and website, you can track your luggage and when I saw that it arrived, I called the United baggage people at the Madrid airport and was told it would be delivered in about an hour.  After the luggage was delivered and unpacked, I walked to the north west entrance of Retiro Park and wandered through the many performers, including this group of bagpipers and hand perscussionist.


The line to get into the Crystal Palace was too long, but I did go into the Velasquez Palace to see some of the art from the German artist Dierk Schmidt.  It must be me, because I did not stay long - I could not relate to any of this avant-garde art.


Saturday evening, I walked the five kms to the Vaughan Town Tapas reception at El Balandro and met the Anglos going to Gredos, Belmonte and Jaraba, the three programs this week.  As usual, it was a fun two hours of enough food and wine that no dinner was needed.  I took the Metro back with Amy who needed to go to a specific Italian clothing store to buy stuff for her adult son.  From there, I walked the four short blocks back to the hostal.

Sunday morning, I walked the five kms to the Vaughan office and was at the Starbucks on the corner when it opened at 8:00.  I had coffee, fresh squeezed orange juice and a breakfast sandwich and then joined everyone for the 8:45 departure for Izan Hotel Puerto de Gredos in El Barco de Avila.  The three and a half hour ride included a 30 minute stop just outside the walled city of Avila.

We arrived as scheduled in Gredos, did introductions, had lunch and then were given a three hour siesta.  This is most unusual, but I took advantage of this by walking into town.  Elvira came with me and I showed her,the Roman bridge that dates back to the 1400s, the river walk, the new bridge and for the first time ever for me, I was there when the castle was open.





We had our typical busy schedules, complete with phrasal verbs and idioms to explain to the Spaniards.



We were given two options for each of the three courses for each meal each day.  I did not take any dessert and most meals had a salad for the first course (they had a decent salad bar for all lunches and dinners) and then the second course.


As on past stays in Gredos, I would take Spaniards to the Rio Tormes - it is about a 20 minute walk each way to the beach.  We turn right the end of the long hotel driveway, follow the paved road until the stonewall ends and then go down a dirt road to the beach-like area on the river.   For the first time in the ten plus years I have come to Gredos, things have changed.  Someone has moved into the house, put solar panels on the house, started clearing trees from the fields and bringing the farm back to life.




On Monday and for the rest of the week, Elvira and other Spaniards would skip siesta and walk into town.  I would show them different things (as well as discover things new to me) and we would find a cafe/bar for some Spanish coffee - our hotel only has a Nespresso machine, so it is coffee made from hot water going through the little packets of coffee.  One day, we saw storks and nests on top of the castle.


We also discovered that the town library is now upstairs in what used to be the prison.  Downstairs, there is a small museum and even a mockup of what the town looked like in the 17th century.





We had wonderful weather, sunny and warm during the daytime and cool in the evenings, and there was a full moon.


Did I mention that Daryl and Alba kept us busy?



Back at the DBG in Phoenix, Tuesday was scheduled to be a potluck lunch and it was the second half of the alphabet's turn to bring in something.  I was in Spain, so my wonderful wife Patty made paella on my behalf and brought it in.  Here are a couple of photos of Charla at the serving table.



The sunny afternoons allowed me to have all but one of my one to ones outside.




On Wednesday morning (see the schedule above), Daryl and Alba had us take two hours and go into the town.  We were able to visit one of the new stores that sells many local products beyond the traditional dried beans I had bought on a previous trip.  This time I was able to get El Bardo de Avila chocolate bars and two jars of Spanish almonds covered in chocolate, one with dark chocolate and one with white chocolate.  I also took a photo of this sports poster for Ben.


We had lots of sunny afternoons and many one to ones, plus telephone sessions, conference calls and entertainment - all with the dreaded phrasal verbs and idioms.



We took group pictures, some were serious, some were silly.




And when the week ended, we got a gift that I had not ever seen from Vaughan Town - this wonderful video put together by Daryl.


And so another Vaughan Town has ended and it is back to Madrid for the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment