Saturday, May 28, 2022

Exploring Alicante, Saturday and Sunday, May 21/22, 2022

 I flew from Phoenix to Washington and then overnight to Madrid.  Other than visiting friends at the Friday evening English Speaking group, I took it easy and tried to deal with the jetlag (an increasingly onerous task as I age).  Saturday, I took the high speed train from Madrid to Alicante - just a bit over two hours traveling nearly 300 kilometers per hour.

After getting settled into my room at Hotel Cervantes, I went out to explore.  I walked three blocks west to the beautiful avenue that has a wide center meridian for strolling, sitting and enjoying the garden like areas.


When I reached the waterfront, I was in a park like area with massive trees, statues, fountains and flowers.


As I followed along the waterfront, I reached the beautifully tiled wide promenade I remembered from my earlier visit.  This time, there were two areas where there are now permanent stands for local vendors on the beautifully colored tile walkway.




To my right, there were hundreds of small boats in the multipe marinas.




As with many cities in Spain, signs with local history are in multiple languages including English.

To keep costs down, for dinner I got a pre-made salad, rolls and two beers from a local grocery store. Sunday, I retraced my route and found more fountains and garden areas.


Later Sunday, I went to the train station and met more of the Estacion Inglesa participants for the bus ride to Villajoyosa.

No comments:

Post a Comment