Wednesday, August 5, 2026

Fuller Center Build in Cluj, Romania, Days 4 and 5, May 14 and 15, 2026

On Thursday morning, Charley and I raked and leveled the ground around another ditch that had been filled in, and then spread gravel over the clay soil - the gravel will help it settle and be safe to walk and drive over this area next to building where the team meets, eats lunch and has storage space (the building behind me in the first photo).






After lunch Thursday, we worked on concrete pads.  They made these on site as it was less expensive than buying them.  Frames are laid out on heavy plastic tarps, concrete is poured into the frames and then let to set.  After the concrete hardens, you remove the frames, trim off any rough edges and then stack them for use in the walkways they install in front of each townhome.






When we returned to the hotel, my delayed suitcase finally arrived.  On May 8, I had flown from Phoenix to San Francisco to Munich to Cluj, arriving on May 9.  My suitcase went from Phoenix to Chicago, where it sat for several days before it went on Lufthansa to Munich then Zurich and finally Cluj. The good news is that I had two extra sets of underwear and an extra shirt with my toiletries in my backpack.  Fortunately, the weather was warm enough and dry enough that I was fine with what I had with me.  The local staff and the volunteers were worried that I was not warm enough because I only had shorts and short sleeve shirts plus one long sleeved sweatshirt - but I was fine as you can see from the photos above.

 

Thursday evening was dinner at another restaurant, we certainly ate well this week.


Volunteers, both local and international like me, wore yellow hard hats.  Staff wore white hard hats.  Friday morning, I worked with Andrea's parents, the two on the left and we were supervised by Vio, the construction supervisor for Fuller Center.  In the next photo, you can see the new frames ready for making more of the concrete pads that Charley and I had worked with on Thursday.

In the multipurpose main building, equipment was stored, meetings were held, lunches were served and eaten, and we also took are regular coffee breaks and rest periods.  Our names were put on our hardhats with tape.




The task that Andrea's parents and I worked on was cutting up a large pile of scrap wood into small enough pieces for residents to use as kindling in their heating system.

After cleaning up from work, the last hour on Friday we had a chance to tour the two townhomes next door to the ones we worked on - this allowed us to see what our work would eventually lead to.  

 

And then it was back to the hotel and out to yet another restaurant for dinner. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment