Friday, January 23, 2015

First Days in Madrid

On Wednesday Jan. 21, I got up at 5:00 and left for the airport at 7:00.  As usual, all went quickly with checking one suitcase and then going through the TSA precheck line at the Phoenix Airport.  I had a light breakfast in the United Club and then caught the 8:45 flight to Washington Dulles airport, where it was snowing when we arrived at 3:00.  I then spent a couple of hours online working in the United Club before catching my 5:45 flight to Brussels.  Because of the cold and snow, our Boeing 777 had to be deiced before take off - this meant we left the gate around 5:45 but did not get airborne until about 6:30.  We landed in Brussels about 7:15 Thursday morning.  I spent a couple of hours in The Loft, the club run by Brussels Airline and then boarded my flight to Madrid at 9:45.  We landed in Madrid at 11:30 and it had warmed up to 34° F.  I took the Metro to the city center and got to Hostal Zamora about 1:00 - this will be my home for the next three days.

I had not slept well on my flights, so was tired and took a nap before going out for a walk and dinner.  I found a local cafe and had a menu del dia for ten euros for dinner - first course of pasta bolognese, second course of skewered chicken, fries and salad, and a desert of flan, plus a small beer to drink.  I then went for a walk and found a fruit and veggie store - I bought some bananas and apples to have as snacks.

After a fair nights sleep, I got up and did my classes online, and a few crossword puzzles.  After showering and shaving, I then go ready to go out.  I was waiting for Harry to arrive.  As I started down the stairs (the Hostal is on the fourth floor), I noticed the elevator going up.  Sure enough, it was Harry.  We connected, and then at 10:00 we went out for breakfast at El Horno de Almudena, a nice bakery and coffee shop just down the street.



We then went to the Madrid Historical Museum.  When I was previously in Madrid, the museum was closed for renovations.  It is now open and is beautiful, with all signs in both Spanish and English.  There is no charge for entry.  The museum gives a very nice history of the city.

Around noon, we moved on to the Naval Museum.  Although there is no entry charge, they do ask for a three euro donation and two euros for the English language handheld machines with recorded explanations of the various displays.  You can see the growth of Spain and its empire based on naval power, the loss of some of that empire as British naval power grew and displaced Spain.  And finally, the Spanish American war in 1898-1899 causing the loss of the remaining Spanish overseas empire.


We then went for lunch at the Cafeteria Prado where the menu del dia was twelve euros.  Three courses plus bread and a glass of beer was a good price.  We each had a second beer, but that was a bit expensive.  For dessert, Harry had flan and I had creme vanilla.


We then went to the Real Botanical Jardin.  Unfortunately, since it is winter, not much is in bloom.  We did see a lot of desert flora, both outside and inside the greenhouse.




Outside, we also saw a lot of bonsai trees.





We continued walking and exploring.  Over by the Palacio Real, we saw a street performance of an opera.



And then we went back to our hostal took a break to rest up before going to the ESG.

No comments:

Post a Comment