Thursday, May 28, 2015

Day four on Camino Mozarabe Wednesday May 20

We decided that my feet meant I was not going to hike.  My backpack with clam shell would now ride for the rest of the week.


We hired a taxi to drive us to the next rural guest house, Casa Goris in the small town of Reboredo.  The hotel took our suitcases and around noon our taxi showed up.  First stop was an ATM and then Casa Goris - I told the non-English speaking driver primero telebanco, segundo Casa Goris.

It is fortunate that my phone was with me and that Casa Goris was readily found by Google Maps.  The driver started off and drove to Silleda which is where we would have hiked that day, but Casa Goris is ten kilometers away.  The taxi driver tried to take us to an unknown other guest house - I had to insist that was wrong and to follow my directions from Google Maps.  Sure enough, following those directions we came across signs for numerous guest houses including Casa Goris.  I had to argue with the driver several times, but finally we got to Casa Goris and the drive was surprised.  We paid him and went into Casa Goris - it was an amazing and beautiful place to stay.  The main building is more than 200 years old and has been restored.  There are seven rooms, but we were the only guests.






There is a second building which includes a bar and a pool room on the ground floor.  So we sat in the courtyard and enjoyed a couple of beers and tapas.







After two beers, I needed to use the restroom.  I followed the signs through the bar and the pool hall that sent me upstairs - and it was a most unusual staircase that I managed to negotiate safely in both directions.



Our room was on the top floor - huge hand hewn exposed beams supported the roof.  When it came time for dinner, we went through the large dining room into what had been the kitchen 200 years ago.  There was a fire going in the hearth and our private dinner was served there.




Our first course was mixed salad of lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, white asparagus and tuna fish, plus pan de Cea and much to my surprise, a plate of some excellent dried, smoked anchovies.


We also had a pitcher of wine that we consumed with that first course and about half way through the second course of pork for me and octopus for Patty.  So our host gave us a second pitcher of wine.  We drank that and then had desert of fresh strawberries and fresh whipped cream.


 And as if that was not enough, our host then brought us chupitos - iced shot glasses and two bottles of liquor, one that was like Baileys Irish Creme and one that was a coffee flavored liquor. We were free to have as much as we wanted.

No comments:

Post a Comment