Thursday, May 28, 2015

Day two on the Camino Mozarabe - Monday May 18

We started the day with a delightful breakfast at Casa Casarellos.


Our hosts then gave us a ride back to Cea where we had stopped the day before.  Just as we started, we came across a plaza dedicated to the making of the world famous Pan de Cea - it is some of the best bread imaginable, and we had some at dinner the night before as well as at breakfast before setting out.





Once we got out of town, the scenery was very reminiscent of the rolling green hills of Vermont.  There were lots of stone walls, rocks, dirt roads, second growth forests and more.



We also came across some colorful spring scenery.  In Gallegos, the bushes and trees with yellow blossoms are called xestas, pronounced jestas.


After about four hours, we stopped for a snack of granola bars and water.



 In another small village, we came across what we think was a peach tree that was in blossom.


About two kilometers from the end of our 21 kilometer hike, I felt that I had a small piece of dirt inside the sock on my left foot.  So we stopped, I sat on the guard rail at the side of the road and removed my left shoe - much to my surprise, I had developed a large blister on the ball of my foot.  I was very surprised, as I did not really feel any hot spot type sensation.  I put a bandage on the blister, with tape over it and we finished the hike in Castro de Dozon as scheduled.  We met no hikers that day, but did meet a couple of German hikers at the Cafe Fraga where we stopped for a couple of beers while waiting for our ride from our hosts at Casa Casarellos where we would spend a second night.


The grounds at Casa Casarellos are very beautiful, as are the buildings.  We shared a photo of some calla lilies with Megan, as they are one of her favorites.


They also had this interesting potted cactus.



For dinner, Patty and I were the only guests that night.  Before dinner, I discovered not only the blister on my left foot, but two blisters on my right heel - I had not felt anything where the one on the inside of the heel was and had only felt like a build up of callous on the outside of the heel.  I popped and drained all three blisters and taped them up before going to bed.  

No comments:

Post a Comment