Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Friday in Dublin, Ireland, August 5, 2016

I left for the airport in Portland about 10:00 a.m. on Wednesday, flew to Houston that afternoon, had an overnight flight to London and then an afternoon flight to Dublin, reaching the Hotel St. George about 4:00 p.m. Thursday.  That evening, I wandered around O'Connell Street and the pedestrian malls on Henry St. and Talbott St.

Friday morning, my first task was to stop at the high end Marks and Spencer store for coffee and muffin.  Then it was on to Stephens Green Shopping Center to find an umbrella to buy.  Although it looks like it was converted from a train station, it was designed and built as an urban shopping center, opening in 1988.



Stephen's Green Shopping Center gets its name from St. Stephen's Green, a large park across the street.  The Easter Rising of 1916 led to Ireland's independence and to celebrate the Centennial there are signs (in English and Irish) throughout the park giving the history of the park and surrounding environment, all involved in Irish independence.  There are also beautiful gardens and plantings in the park.








I then continued east to Merrion Square - again, beautiful gardens and plantings, plus the National Memorial to members of the Defence Forces - this is where Ireland has their eternal flame burning.












I returned to the Stephen's Green Shopping Center to use their men's room and saw these signs which reminded me of Ben.  I was pleasantly surprised to see many men and even some women who were taller than me.



Then I headed back to Hotel St. George and visited the memorial to those who died in the Independence movement of 1916.





After a short rest, I headed back out for a tour of the Jameson Distillery.  One block from the distillery, I came across the HQ of the Bar Council of Ireland - as an attorney, it is great to be a member of the bar and be one block from the distillery.





I had an educational 50 minute tour that included taste testing and comparison of Jameson's triple distilled with Johnny Walker Black Label double distilled and Jim Beam single distilled whiskey, followed by a glass of Jameson's 12 year old reserve - so good I bought a bottle to bring home.  Then it was dinner at Madigan's Pub on O'Connell St. before calling it a day.



No comments:

Post a Comment