Saturday, August 20, 2016

The first five days of Angloville at Dublin City University, August 7 - 11, 2016

On Sunday morning, I went out for my morning walk and had breakfast, then checked out of the Hotel St. George.  My plan was to walk to Dublin City University, as it was only about 3 miles away.  After about 15 minutes, one of the wheels on my suitcase started having problems and became so bad I had to stop.  Fortunately, I found a French cafe around 10:00 and sat down outside with my coffee - and just then, a taxi came and dropped some people off.  I asked the driver to return at 11:00 to take me to DCU.  I enjoyed the fresh air and sunshine for the next hour and then took the cab ride to DCU.  It is a compact campus in a suburban area of northern Dublin.

After checking in with Angloville, I found my room.  DCU operates their dorms like hotel rooms during the summer.  We were in suites with five bedrooms and a lounge in each suite.  The bedrooms have individual locks and en suite bathrooms.  The lounge has living room, dining room and a kitchen area with fridge, stove, microwave, coffee maker, etc.  I then set out to explore the campus.

 There is a beautiful performance center and theater, the Helix.



Most of the buildings are brick and have been around since 1982 when this campus was opened.







Our Angloville meetings were in a classroom in the School of Business.



Later in the day, there was a school band playing to welcome people to an event at the Helix.




As I continued to explore the campus during the week, I found other points of interest, such as the School of Nursing and Human Sciences.


In Ireland, there is often rain, so they have covered parking for bicycles.


In the neighborhood just off campus, there is a building used by the local Scouting organization.



And the neighborhood has multiple signs about picking up after your dog.


Angloville was created to help people improve their verbal English skills, so we had a busy schedule laid out for our ten days.



On Wednesday, Aug. 10, we went into Dublin on a scavenger hunt.  One of the things we saw was the bell tower in the center of Trinity College



We were tasked with learning some words and sentences in Irish.  I bought this magnet, thinking it said "Greetings from Ireland" as the small print in red states.  It actually translates as "kiss my ass."


This sign had a better usage of Irish words for us.


Another thing we were supposed to find was an Irish street musician playing Irish music - but because of the rainy weather, we could not find any, so I took this short video of the statue of Molly Malone and this guy playing his guitar and singing - but it was not Irish music.



On Thursday, one of the places I found to visit on our one to one Angloville discussions was Le Petit Cafe, a wonderful little French cafe about ten minutes from the DCU School of Business where we met for each of our sessions.  Here is the coffee and snack we had.


On our Thursday trip into Dublin, we were searching for historical things.  My group went to the Dublin Castle.



Then we met up with another group and I went with four Polish participants to Epic, a new museum that just opened in May as part of the 100th anniversary of Irish Independence.  Epic shows the history of the 70 million people of Irish descent and how they emigrated from Ireland, especially during the potato famine of the 1800s.






No comments:

Post a Comment