Thursday, March 14, 2019

Day Town and the weekend in Las Tablas, Feb. 23 to 25, 2019

After returning to Madrid from Vaughan Town at Puerto de Gredos, I bade a quick goodbye to the Spaniards and Anglos, and took a cab with a couple of Anglos to the NH Hotel Madrid in Las Tablas.  I checked in, left my luggage and headed out to go to the Friday night English Speaking Group.  I walked the 40 minutes to the metro stop at Pinar de Charmartin, then 20 minutes riding on the metro to Diego de Leon and finally a short walk to Via 22 Cafe.  As usual, a pleasant evening was had enjoying word games, drinks, tapas and conversation.  By the time I was finished, I was beat, so I took a taxi back to the hotel.

Saturday morning, Day Town began at 9:00 with a breakfast and then progressed through the day.  I met many fascinating people, including a woman whose family owned and operated a wholesale bakery.  She had a PhD in history and had done several months research in Cuba - and because that visa was in her passport (visado especial), it caused her to go to secondary inspection when she later visited the USA.




After we finished for the day, I went for a walk and then got a salad and bottle wine from the nearby Aldi grocery story - dinner in the room was quite relaxing.

Sunday was a beautiful, sunny day with highs in the 70s.  Besides doing school work online, I took several walks to explore the area and learned about how the three light rail lines are part of the Metro system and how close the nearest stop was to the hotel.  Spring was in bloom and in the afternoon, thousands of people were out on the sidewalk cafes and bars in the Las Tablas area of Madrid.


Monday morning, it was a quick taxi ride to the airport and then a long 25 hour day of travel to home.



No comments:

Post a Comment