Monday, April 29, 2019

Ketchikan and the Ferry to Juneau, April 27 - 28, 2019

On Saturday, I flew Alaska Air from Phoenix to Seattle and then on to Ketchikan.  I checked the Weather Tech rain guards for Megan's car windows in Phoenix, and because the flight from Seattle was completely full, I also checked my carry on bag there - both arrived safely and on time at Ketchikan Airport. 


Megan met me and took me on a tour of the area outside the airport where she had volunteered with Coastbusters - they picked up litter for a large part of the west side of the airport.  On the way to her apartment, we had dinner at Bar Harbor restaurant and stopped by Misty Fjords Air just at sunset.


Sunday, we were up early and checked in for the Columbia Ferry at 8:15 for the 10:15 departure.




We got underway as scheduled.  My exploration of the ferry showed campers on the back deck by the solarium - the tents were duck taped to the deck.  There were also people set up to sleep on the solarium's chaise lounge chairs.


The scenery was gorgeous, the sea was calm and the sky was blue.




The ferry had great signage telling about the scientific research being done on the ferry, giving history of the gold rush that led to the establishment of the towns and cities of southeast Alaska, and showing out route through the inner passage.




The tables in the cafeteria had educational info about all the wildlife we might see.


At 4:00, we stopped in Wrangell.  I got off to stretch my legs, but we were only allowed off for less than 30 minutes.  Beautiful mountains were all around.




At 8:00, we stopped in Petersburg.  I got off and again was amazed by the beautiful mountains around us - but here also, less than 20 minutes off the boat.





Megan and I got dinner from the cafeteria and ate in our stateroom, and settled into bed by 9:30 for the short night, as our scheduled arrival into Juneau was at 4:30 a.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment