Friday, May 17, 2019

Royal Chateau Amboise and a BIG Surprise, Wednesday and Thursday, May 15 - 16, 2019

Wednesday was a beautiful sunny day.  After a leisurely morning, Helen, Laura, Tammy, Patty and I went out for a fine lunch at Brasserie Hippeau (click on the link to see the amazing menu and photos).

After lunch, the five of us explored the Royal Chateau.


Every where we went in the castle, they had beautiful flowers and gardens.


Leonarda da Vinci moved to Amboise when he was 64 years old and was already very famous.  He died three years later in May 1519 and is buried in one of the buildings that is part of the Royal Chateau.  The week before we arrived the presidents of France and Italy were both here in Amboise to celebrate the 500th anniversary of da Vinci's death.


The main building is known as the Loggia and has many rooms, circular stairways, guard towers and more to explore.


From the top of the guard tower, there were great views of the town and Loire River while looking north.


Many beautiful courtyards and eight gardens to explore.



Here are some views of the north side of the Loggia from one of the towers.



Looking west down on the town and Loire River.


Beautiful flowers were in the Japanese Garden.



From a different tower looking east and upstream on the Loire.




Helen, Laura and Tammy left the Chateau and I dragged Patty to the Japanese Garden - she seemed to go reluctantly and I did not know why at the time.  We came across this beautiful bird there and I made a short video of her singing.  When I played the video, the bird replied to the audio portion of the clip below.



One last thing we saw was a cordless, electric robotic lawn mower - nearly silent operation.


Unknown to me, and explaining why Patty was lagging behind me looking over the wall, was the big surprise for my birthday.  While my 70th is not until July, we planned this trip now before it got too crowded and too hot.  Ben and Martha had been conspiring with Patty and Megan to surprise me.  They obviously surprised Helen, Laura and Tammy.



Once Patty and I started exiting down and out through the exit tower, she apparently texted Ben, who was hiding around the corner to surprise me.


Needless to say, I was speechless for several minutes -  even as I type this two days later, I am still somewhat in shock.





We all went to a sidewalk cafe for drinks and a snack for Martha and Ben, then headed back to our rental.  While all seven of us could fit in our rental, Laura and Tammy graciously moved to a hotel for their last two nights here.  Then all seven of us had a great evening of fine food and wine at La Terressa restaurant - it was still twilight when we finished dinner after 10:00.


Thursday morning was another relaxed morning.  I took a walk up a nearby side street which leads to the upper side and back of the Royal Chateau, passing by nice private gardens and a vantage point that had arrows pointing to places of interest so that you could identify them.



Patty and I went out for a nice long walk, looping through a different residential part of the town, passing by beautiful homes and this beautiful tree lined alley.


Then we stopped at Cafe le Francais, Ben and Martha joined us, and the three of us had a nice three course lunch.

While I took a rest, the others went in two groups to explore and visit Clos de Luce, the chateau where Leondard da Vinci lived the last three years of his life.

Patty, Ben and Martha had bought a nice cake and we all surprised Helen by singing happy birthday and celebrating her birthday while we were all still together.  To say the least, Ben and Martha coming to surprise me for my birthday and the surprise for Helen for her birthday made for a great evening.




No comments:

Post a Comment