Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Phoenix and South Burlington

On Wednesday, I went out to dinner with friends Anne, Shawn, Jane and Cathy.  We had an excellent dinner at the Windsor on Central Ave. in Phoenix.  They are part of the same group that operates Federal Pizza and two other eateries nearby.  I had a heirloom tomato salad with a crabcake BLT sandwich - along with a pitcher of Stella Artois.  A very nice evening indeed.

I continued to be overwhelmed with trying to get prepared for fall classes. 

Friday morning I policed the grounds at the Carlyle - it brought back memories of policing the grounds on military bases and F.O.D. walks.  A Carlyle resident regularly volunteers to walk the property and pick up trash.  While she is gone, a couple of us board members volunteered to fill in and Friday morning was my day.  Friday afternoon, I drove to Tucson and taught my Business Law class there Friday evening.  Same for Saturday.  We finished class about 3:00, then I drove back to Phoenix.  Saturday evening was consumed with packing.  I slept (with many interruptions)  from about 9:00 to 2:30 Sunday morning.

Sunday was a long day.  My Super Shuttle reservation picked up on time at 3:30 a.m. for my 5:00 a.m. flight to Houston.  I was upgraded on that flight, but not on the flight from Houston to Washington DC - but that was okay because it was an older Boeing 767 and the Economy Plus aisle seat had plenty of room.  I did have a talkative seatmate (for me to say that, you know she was really talkative).  The flight from DC to Burlington was delayed two hours, so I got home about 8:30 p.m.  One interesting thing I saw was this sign at the Houston airport which reminded me of the wine tourism (enotourismo) class we did in Brazil.


Monday, I went to donate platelets at the American Red Cross.  Usually, the total time is about two hours and twenty to thirty minutes.  Monday was closer to three hours and twenty minutes.  One issue was that the return needle into my left arm did not go properly into the vein.  They gave me the option of putting that needle in my wrist vein.  That was done and I eventually went through the pheresis procedure.  While the vein is better to see and easier to tap into, it also has more nerves and therefore can be felt more - not painful, but I knew it was attached for two hours.

Monday also had another event at home.  Before going to the Red Cross, I was taking a shower and there was low flow of water which got worse as the shower progressed.  I was barely able to rinse the soap off.  Our condo is one of four in the building (all of the Quarry Ridge condos are in buildings of four condos).  There are no water or sewer meters and those fees are paid for by our monthly condo fees.  Contractors were working on the unit on the other end of our building and turned off the water because they were taking out the old kitchen and installing a new kitchen. The water for the entire building comes in through that unit - they turned off the water for all four condos, rather than just the condo where they were working.  Had we been notified, we would not have used the water. Having not been notified, I kept going with my shower - this caused a pressure imbalance in our system and caused one of the pressure relief valves to blow and spray water all over the furnace and floor in the furnace room.  It took all day for Vermont Gas to get  a repairman here and to tell us that everything worked as it should - except that the water release ruined the pilot light actuator and one smart valve because they are operated electrically and the water shorted them out.  The bill will be sent to the other homeowner and contractor.

And so it goes.  Tomorrow, I will be at Habitat Restore driving the truck and making pickups of donations.  Thursday, we are going to a highly rated Vermont brewery in Goldsboro, VT.  Friday is my first meeting of my on campus class at JSC.  Friday night it is wine tasting in Charlotte.  And Saturday is another day at Habitat ReStore. No special plans yet for Labor Day weekend.

We are planning a trip to Peru in April with Fuller Center for the Build and I am looking at going to Spain in February for more time with Vaughan Town.  And maybe even plan for going to Mongolia in the summer for their Blue Sky build (June 29 - July 5) and a regular build in the two weeks after that (July 5 - 19), then time visiting northwest Mongolia mountains and lakes - only time will tell which of these possible trips will happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment