Wednesday, June 25, 2014

The end of our time in Vermont

I was scheduled to return to Vermont on the overnight flight from Phoenix on Newark on Wednesday night June 18 (not long after my last post).  The flight was cancelled about 11:00 p.m.  The plane coming in from Washington broke, was replaced by a plane coming from Chicago but that Chicago plane and crew were delayed too long.  The cancellation created long lines in the United Club, at the gate and at the United ticket counter outside security.  I could have waited in line and gotten a voucher to pay for a hotel or a taxi back home, and retrieved my luggage.  When I saw how long the lines were, I just rebooked myself on my laptop, then took a taxi home.  I was rescheduled for Thursday morning and retrieved my luggage when I got to the airport.  My flights to Dulles airport in Washington D.C. and on to Burlington were uneventful - although on the first flight I went from an aisle seat in an exit row to a middle seat in the bulkhead row - fortunately, my seat mates were much smaller than me.

On Friday, I went to Montpelier for my last Advanced Standing Committee meeting.  The ASC members evaluate portfolios created by adult students in the Assessment of Prior Learning class.  APL is a three credit course and each porfolio includes an autobiography from the student, the course descriptions with learning objectives and then documentation to support the request for college credit in those classes.  It is an amazing program and is part of the OEP program (Office of External Programs).  Gabrielle had brought non-alcoholic bubbly (in lieu of champagne) to recognize my years as a committee member and made me the lovely OEP Hero hat with fall foliage leaves attached.


After lunch, I met with Val about developing an EDP (External Degree Program) course that will include travel - our tentative plan is to offer the class in Spring 2015 and the trip will be to Washington DC.  Most likely, the course will be Contemporary Issues.

I then drove back to our condo in South Burlington and continued to move things out to the garage.

Saturday, I drove to Hillsborough NH to learn more about the 14th U.S. President by visiting the Franklin Pierce Homestead - the only problem is that Google Maps took me to the wrong location.  Once I finally got there, I met my sister and brother-in-law Helen and Phil and we had a very nice 45 minute tour and history lesson.  We then drove to Concord for lunch (but could not eat downtown because of an arts festival that closed off the streets) and went to the Pierce Manse where we had another nice tour and history lesson.  We learned about Pierce's father, NH Governor Benjamin Pierce, about Pierce's law practice and about the deaths of Pierce's three sons, the third one after Pierce was elected but before he was sworn in.  We also learned about Pierce's military career in the Mexican American War of 1847 - 1849, and the Gadsden Purchase of southern Arizona and New Mexico in the first year of Pierce's presidency in 1853. 

I then drove back to Montpelier, VT, to meet old friends from Woodbury College.  There was an arts festival going on, again blocking off streets - so I parked in the municipal lot some two blocks away and found out that the parking was free.


In the Library Room of the North Branch Cafe (formerly the home of the Capital Grounds Coffee Shop), I arrived late to meet up with eight Woodbury faculty and staff to honor Jean Myers in her retirement from what is now the Woodbury Institute of Champlain College.  At the original Woodbury in Montpelier, we all taught in the paralegal certificate, paralegal associate and bachelor degree programs, the pre-law program and the Masters of Science in Law program (none of the people from the Mediation or Prevention programs came).  We chatted about old times for a couple of hours and split up around dinner time.  Then it was back home for more moving of furniture and household goods to the garage.

Sunday, I went to Red Cross in Burlington and gave my usual triple product of platelets and plasma.  All went well with the donation.  I then met Ann and Terry at their home on Park Street, and we walked downtown for lunch.  The weather was great and we sat outside under an umbrella on Church Street in front of Ri Ra Irish pub.



I had to verify with Patty which things were donations and which things to bring back to Phoenix.  The two jackets, toiletries and clock radio (in the green bag) are in suitcases to return with me.  Everything else was a donation to someone or some organization.


On Sunday evening, a number of things went to Amy, the god daughter of our former Westford neighbor Diane.




The rest of the big things went to Habitat for Humanity on  Tuesday morning.



After one last load to Goodwill later Tuesday morning, the condo was empty.





After lunch, I headed to the Buyer's Attorney's office for the closing.  I arrived early, only to find out that the Power of Attorney that Patty had done did not meet with the Buyer's Attorney's satisfaction.  So I tracked down Patty, our attorney emailed a "Delegation of Authority" to Patty, who was able to print it, get it signed, witnessed and notarized, and then faxed back to Vermont.  After that, the closing went quickly and we thought everything was done.  The Buyer's Attorney said it was too late to wire stuff  that day (Tuesday) but it would be done first thing Wednesday morning.  Since we were paying an extra $75 for this service, I assumed it would be quick and easy like it was when we closed on the sale of our home in New Hampshire - at that closing, a regular "Power of Attorney" was adequate and the funds were wired into our bank account in less than 30 minutes after I left the closing.  It turns out that the Buyer's Attorney either lied or did not know how the system worked because NEFCU said they only do wires once per day at 2:00 p.m.  After calls to our attorney and our realtor, and an unpleasant call to the Buyer's Attorney and from NEFCU, it still was not final - the proceeds of the sale finally got to our account around 2:00 p.m. on Wednesday - 24 hours after the closing.  If I had known that, I would have demanded a bank check, sent it by Fedex for $20 and it would have been deposited before 9:00 a.m.  Such is life.  Other than waiting for the release of mortgage loan, it appears that we are done with the condo in South Burlington.

I am now at the Burlington Airport waiting for my flight to Chicago and on to Phoenix.  While the flight from Burlington is showing on time, the incoming flight is showing as 90 minutes late - the joys of travel.  The good news is I have had time for a beer and an order of French Fries, and have been able to post in both my Constitutional Law blog and this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment