Monday, June 9, 2014

Truck driver I am May 26 - 31

On Monday morning, I set out for Phoenix. The first thing I did was to take a photo of the truck ID numbers so that if the truck was stolen, I would have the numbers.  My phone is set up so that whenever there is wifi, my photos are stored in the cloud so I will always have a record of things.


I headed out by myself on Monday and met my sister and brother-in-law, Helen and Phil, at Panera Bread in West Springfield, MA.  They had already picked up our friend Ellie McNamara from her home at Providence Place in Holyoke.  We had a nice lunch at Panera before Helen and I set off for Phoenix, and Phil and Ellie went back to their homes.



Our first three days' drives were in good weather and with no hitches.  We stayed near Harrisburg, PA, on Monday night, near Knoxville, TN on Tuesday night and North Little Rock, AR, on Wednesday night.  On Thursday morning, we visited the Clinton Library and Museum in Little Rock.  They had just opened their Chihuly exhibition the week before.  As with the other Chihuly exhibits I have seen, these were very colorful and beautiful.





There was one room of Chihuly exhibits that we visited but where photos were not allowed.

The Clinton museum was built with private funds - not tax dollars - and the Clinton Foundation continues to do many good things.



After spending the morning there, we headed out for what should have been a five hour drive to Fort Worth, TX.  Instead, it lasted more than eight hours because of construction, accidents, bad weather and heavy traffic in the Dallas metro area.  Fortunately, there was a nice locally owned, family run Italian restaurant (Mancuso's) next door to our hotel and they were still open for dinner.


On Friday we drove on to El Paso and had a good dinner at the Logan Roadhouse restaurant about a block from our hotel.  The large margaritas were great!


We got to the Carlyle Condos in Phoenix on Saturday afternoon and things were in bloom.




And with the help of Anne, Shawn, Jane and Gus, Helen and I got the truck unloaded and everything into our garage in an hour, in spite of the 108 degree heat.



Here are some photos Helen took of the unloading.





Then I helped Jane and Gus move Jane's old living room furniture to Gus' house where it will be donated to his church across the street.  And then we went out for a fine dinner at the new Grass Roots restaurant.  Helen flew back to Boston the next evening (Sunday June 1) and I flew back to Vermont on Tuesday June 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment