Saturday, June 9, 2018

Meanderings in Prescott, June 6 and 8, 2018

Wednesday, my plan was to see if there is a way to drive from the YMCA parking lot through the hospital parking lot, to make it easier to get out of the YMCA when Patty comes to pick me up after her yoga class.  I wanted to go north on the west side of the hospital, so I headed north on Miller Valley Road.  I passed a flower shop with this interesting artwork.  The rest of the wall was smooth and painted a light purple color, but this painting of a train coming through a valley is on raised material that I have not seen before, and includes details that can be difficult to discern.



After crossing Whipple Street, Miller Valley Road becomes Willow Creek Road.  There is this nice collection of shrubs in blossom and there were hundreds, if not thousands, of bees flying around.



Once I reached Ainsworth Street, I could turn east to go around the hospital, but I was intrigued by the cemetery to the north of the hospital.  From the south side, it appeared that the grave markers were buried flush with the ground, rather than headstones that stood above the ground.


I leaned over the fence to get a photo of one of the grave markers.


A few yards further there was this one section with small headstones  - none more than a foot tall, but very obviously different from the other section.  There appeared to be a number of toys, so I wonder if it is a section for burial of young children.


I continued on and it was a most circuitous route to get to the YMCA, passable only on foot and no way for a car to go - mostly because of the fenced off area around the construction on that side of the hospital.

Friday, I went north on Willow Creek Road, past Ainsworth Street, to the cemetery entrance, and saw that Mountain View Cemetery is an endowed care cemetery - it is not a veterans cemetery (although there are some veterans buried there) and it is not one of the five cemeteries maintained by Yavapai County.  Instead, it is part of a company that has funeral homes and cemeteries in nine cities in Arizona.


I took photos of a couple of the grave markers that are flush with the ground.



In 1951, the local chapter of the American Legion created a memorial with an American flag (the shadow is from the flagpole) to "The memory of those resting here who have served and sacrificed for the American ideals."


Beyond the American Legion memorial, there is a section which appears to have most of the graves marked with above ground headstones.  The cemetery is huge and I will have to explore it more.


On my walk from the cemetery to the YMCA, I did find a circuitous and less than obvious way to get from the YMCA parking lot, through the parking lot on the south side of the hospital and out to Willow Lake Road to head north for our route back to Prescott Valley.

No comments:

Post a Comment