Tuesday, July 16, 2013

A quick two weeks before going to Mongolia


A quick ten days in Vermont and three days in Arizona – time flew by as I was getting ready for my trip to Mongolia.  I had my usual days at Habitat for Humanity on Wednesday and Saturday, July 3 and 6.  They tell me that I will be sorely missed because I am one of the few they can rely on to drive the truck and load donations, even if I end up going alone.  Speaking of being alone, my first pick up on Saturday involved bringing concrete blocks and lumber up from the basement, through the kitchen, dining room and living room, down to the garage and out and up into the truck – only made 30 trips before I said I had to go to the next scheduled appointment.  I had a second volunteer join me in the afternoon, and we each did another 30 trips at the same house.  And there was still more for other volunteers to get.

Independence Day, we went to Mike and Bridgette’s for a picnic.  Bridgette’s sister Julianne was up from Charlestown MA for the weekend.  And just as last year, a horrendous storm hit while we were there.  We are all glad that we did not buy tickets for the concert and fireworks on the lawn at Shelburne Farms.

Here are some photos of one of the Independence Day storms that hit when I was at the grocery store.  

The water quickly overcame the drain in the middle.






The water quickly got up to the level of the front bumper of this car.

Julianne and Bridgette on the back deck
Mike on the back deck

Sunday, I also was giving platelets again at the Red Cross – it appears that the problems encountered last time have been overcome.  I was in and out in less than two and half hours.

Tuesday was my birthday.  Patty and I shared some Chardonnay at home, then walked to the Rotisserie Restaurant on Williston Road (about a half mile) for a nice dinner.  We enjoyed another bottle of Chardonnay, shared an appetizer, then Patty had a lobster and I had shrimp scampi.  We ended by sharing a nice dessert (I actually ate most of it).


Wednesday, we were up and on the way to the airport by 4:15 to catch my early morning flight to Newark, with connections to Houston and finally to Phoenix.  I got there just as Jane was ending her work day at the airport and she drove me home.  Then we met at 6:00 for dinner at Ticoz Restaurant: Jane, Cathy, Meg, Shawn, Margaret and Anne.  Had a second birthday dinner with another nice dessert.


Thursday evening, I volunteered at the Mesquite Station for Flashlight Tours at the Desert Botanical Garden.  I taught my Wayland Baptist class Friday evening and Saturday morning.  And then it was getting my stuff together and off to the airport.

No comments:

Post a Comment