Monday, July 1, 2013

A whole week in Vermont without leaving the state

Last week was unusual - I spent the entire week in Vermont.  Of course, it was an interesting week - continued rain, thunderstorms, flash floods and roads washed out.

Monday, I had a nice breakfast with Ben at Barrio Bakery.  During the day, Patty was busy cooking all day and we invited Ben and Martha to join us for dinner, but they were unable to do so.


So Patty and I had a wonderful dinner that she had made: baked macaroni and cheese, cole slaw, potato salad and barbequed ribs.  We had plenty of leftovers, so we could continue to enjoy this through out the week.


Tuesday, I drove Patty to work.  As we went north on I-89, we saw work on the bridge over the Winooski River, just south of Exit 15.  There was a massive traffic jam on I-89 south as well as on US Route 7 south.  We later found out that Monday evening, there was a car that had hydroplaned in the rainwater on the bridge, then two cars hit the first car and a truck that tried to avoid the three cars went through the guard rail and off the bridge.  The work we saw was a crane lifting the truck back up on to the bridge so it could be hauled away.  After leaving Patty at work, I then took the route through Burlington city streets (rather than getting on I-89) to go to Direct Auto on Shelburne Road.  They said half of their employees and customers had called in saying they were stuck in the big traffic jam.  I had scheduled replacement of the moon roof on the Subaru (it had a major crack in it) and it took only 25 minutes.

Wednesday was another busy day driving the truck for Habitat ReStore.  Many roads were washed out, some partially, some completely.  Fortunately, Google Maps allowed me to find alternate routes when needed to get around those closed roads.

Thursday, I went to Johnson State College.  I got my new ID card, new keys and had the large van training - I am now certified to drive the JSC 15 passenger vans  when I need to take students on field trips for classes.  I had a quick lunch with Henrique and then got back home.  Steve and Linda have flown out from Washington to Boston and were driving up to visit family members - they have rented a condo in Lake Placid and are expecting to spend time with family there.  Steve has lost 170 pounds - he looks great.  And Linda is resigning in October - even though she has 32 years with the state of Washington, she is not taking her retirement annuity until Steve retires in another 18 months.  Her plan is to work on fixing up their Washington house to sell and to start getting a place in Tucson AZ for their retirement home.

Saturday, I had another busy day at Habitat Restore.  We were not able to unload the truck at the end of the day due to a massive thunderstorm and torrential rainfall.  So Ben H. and I returned Sunday morning and emptied the truck, leaving it ready for Dan to use Monday (today).

Martha, Ben, Patty and I then had a wonderful Sunday brunch at Leunigs Bistro.  Many wonderful dishes to choose from and all were enjoyed greatly.  Today, I will be taking Ben to the airport soon - he is going to Colorado to visit some internship programs there and then when Martha joins him later, they are attending a friend's wedding.

And thanks to my sister Helen, I found out that the mystery tree I asked about last week is an American Basswood (also sometimes called American Linden).  Here is a photo of it where the blossoms are starting to open.


Those long, narrow light colored leaves I described before are not really leaves, they are brachts.  A bracht is a modified leaf that simulates the petals of a flower.  I am never to old to learn something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment