Sunday, December 17, 2017

Back to Managua and home to Phoenix, Saturday and Sunday, Dec. 16 and 17, 2017

We had our last breakfast Saturday morning.  After saying our goodbyes, Katt, mark, Alex and Robin left to go boarding on a volcano; it consisted of an hour climb up the side of the volcano and then a 45 second ride down the side of the volcano.  The other twelve of us then got in the van for the ride to Managua.  As before, Fuller had chartered a very nice Toyota van. 


After about 90 minutes, we stopped at a roadside mini-mall with restrooms, restaurants and gift shops.


About 45 minutes later, we stopped by Lago Xolotlan, also known as Lago Managua.  From the shore we could see two volcanos, Momotombo (the larger one) and Momotombito (the smaller one).




45 minutes later, we arrived at the Best Western Las Mercedes, across the street from the Managua Airport.  It is all one story tall, I assume to avoid problems of future earthquakes.  Peggy, Kathleen and I said our goodbyes to the other nine members of our team - they were all headed to Granada for a day or two to explore the old, historic city.

The Best Western is all one story tall, I believe to avoid problems with any future earthquakes.



I spent a quiet night at the hotel.  It is clearly a tourist spot with tourist prices.  For example, in Las Peñitas, six beers cost $5 US - at the Best Western, one beer cost $2.50.  Rooms in Las Peñitas were $15, at the Best Western $117.

Sunday, I was up at 4:45 a.m., walked across the street to the airport and found Peggy and Kathleen in line at the United check in counter.  We chatted, before our flight, and then flew to Houston.  They then went their way and I flew on to Phoenix.  I was scheduled to catch the 2:20 flight but was able to get the 12:15 flight.  This is because with Nexus and TSA pre-check and no checked luggage, it took me less than 15 minutes to get through Immigration, Customs and TSA and get to the gate for the earlier flight.  So I was home in Phoenix before 3:00 p.m.  It has been a long, hot week but a wonderful experience with a great group of volunteers and Fuller employees.  I hope I can return.

No comments:

Post a Comment