Saturday, December 23, 2017

Shaw Butte, back in Phoenix, Monday to Thursday, Dec. 18 - 21

After unpacking Sunday evening and doing laundry, I acclimated back to the time and temperature changes from Nicaragua to Phoenix.  On Monday, Patty and I hiked Shaw Butte, one of our favorite hikes that ascends nearly 800 feet in elevation in a bit over two miles.



One of the old trail markers seemed to indicate that we rose 540 feet in elevation in a quarter mile, but that is not accurate.


As expected, the trail was sunny and warm - not hot at all.



As we have seen in past years, one of the trees was decorated for the Christmas season.





Even the cacti got in the spirit.


I think this is a change - I did not recall seeing all these photovoltaic panels on the roof of this large church below the trail.



There are many places to stop on the trail and look either north or south.


In the distance, we could see the many antennae at the top of Shaw Butte.


Clearly, Phoenix sits in a bowl, surrounded by mountains - this traps the smog and you can see the line of smog in the distance.









Once we got to the top, Patty explored the accessible area around the antennae.


 And then it was back down the trail.



Tuesday, I did my usual day at the Desert Botanical Garden - it was a cool 39 degrees in the morning.  I walked the mile to the light rail station at Camelback and Central, then rode to Washington and Priest Ave.  I stopped at Starbucks to get a sandwich and orange juice for the two and a half mile walk the garden.  It was a quiet morning and then we had our monthly potluck luncheon.  It was busy with visitors after lunch and Patty came at 2:30 to drive me home.  Tuesday evening, I went to our HOA meeting.  The big issue was how to deal with residents who violate the board's current interpretation of the rules concerning what we can have on our patios.

Wednesday was a day for errands, then we went to dinner at Shawn's home - she had made beef stew and buttermilk biscuits for us.  After dinner we visited until Anne's flight from New England got in, and we continued catching up with them.  Thursday morning, I walked and Patty drove to the French Grocery where we met Jane for breakfast.  Later, I walked to Bashas and saw eleven Phoenix Police cars in the parking lot - there did not appear to be any kind of event, so I am guessing they were there for some type of meeting.



We continued to sort through things as we try to simplify our lives - and this creates more for Goodwill.  I always attach a photo of the donations with the donation receipt for our tax records.


 And then it was back home to pack for traveling to Portland to visit Ben and Martha for Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment