Sunday, October 12, 2014

Munich on Sunday Oct. 12

I had a nice relaxing day on Sunday.  After some class work online, I went out for a nice breakfast of a spinach and cheese omelet, coffee and fresh squeezed juice.  I was able to continue to read "Team of Rivals" while eating.

After breakfast, I decided to go to the Deutsches Museum.  Before heading out, I noticed that even though this is a very upscale area with large roof top gardens on balconies and two floors of below ground parking, people still walk a lot, use public transit - and use lots of bicycles.  The next two photos are inside the gated community and the third is just outside the gate.




I headed off to the museum.  Google maps told me it was a 45 minute walk.  My route took me through some very nice pedestrian streets with lots of shops and restaurants, and across numerous plazas.


While I had seen some signs about the Munich Marathon, it was not until I went to cross Odeonplatz and Marionplatz that I realized today was the day.



I continued on and arrived at the museum around 10:00.  It is in the city in a beautiful area.







This is comparable (probably even exceeds) the Smithsonian Museums in Washington DC.  There are some 50 sections in the main museum, plus two other large facilities (one for ground transportation and one for air transportation) outside of Munich and a branch in Bonn.  I only had energy to visit a few of the sections.  First was the mariners sections which included several full size boats.



Then the oil and gas section.  I took a photo of one of the seismology signs for my seismologist friend Richard from Madrid.


One section I remembered from my visit in 1968 was the mines.  They have models as well as a life size set of mines for visitors to explore.


The German coal industry has shrunk from 600,000 workers in 1950 to less than 50,000 by 2002 and fewer still today.




After going through the mines, I went back to the start to get this warning that there are 214 steps in just that exhibit and that you cover 700 meters - nearly half a mile.


The machinery exhibit had things such as this large precision steam engine.


The ecology section had exhibits about overpopulation, ozone depletion, the need to recycle and reuse, overfishing of the oceans and many more issues.


One of the futuristic exhibits is all about nano-technology and biotechnology.


The Max Planck Society is a science organization that constantly looks to the future.


There was a model of a power plant that generates energy from the movement of ocean waves.


One of the subsidiary museums is a large aviation museum outside of Munich.  Nonetheless, they had a cross section of a large international jet and numerous planes, both old and new.





There is a bi-plane build by the Wright Brothers in 1909.


I visited the pharmacy section.


This museum is amazing - there is more science and engineering than you can imagine.

After three hours, I was worn out, so I headed back to my lodging.  Coming out of the museum, I was confronted by the Munich marathon on the street that leads into the museum.





After a pleasant 45 minute walk to the neighborhood where I am staying, I stopped for a lunch of beer and pizza.  After lunch, I headed back to the condo and just had to take a picture of this sign from a store out in front of this development.  Suckfüll sells small household appliances, including small and large vacuums - maybe that is where the name comes from.


And now I am back in my room, taking it easy for the rest of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment