Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Two weeks back in the USA Oct. 15 - 28

After returning to the USA, the biggest issue I had was dealing with the nine hours time difference.  It took me much longer than on past trips - I must be getting older.

After taking it easy at home for a couple of days, I drove to Tucson on Friday Oct. 17 and gave three units of platelets at the Red Cross Blood Center.  Then on to Sierra Vista for class Friday evening and Saturday.  Saturday afternoon was the long drive back to Phoenix.

Monday, I had an appointment at Arcadia Family Medicine.  I decided to walk the 3.2 miles there - it took less than an hour.  On the way, my path followed the Grand Canal and I came across this group of ducks swimming in the canal.


I also came across some nice Teddy Bear Chollas in front of a business - that is my shadow in the photo (don't know how I missed seeing that when taking the photo).


On the way back, I came across several businesses that have their signs in Spanish.  I posted a copy of this photo on Facebook for my Spanish friends.


On Tuesday, I did my usual day at the Desert Botanical Garden and my assignment was the cactus station.


Our washing machine started sounding like a B-52 on takeoff.  So we ordered a new one from Lowes and had it delivered.  It is very high tech, including a place where you can call the manufacturer and hold your cell phone next to the machine so that they can remotely diagnose your problem via your phone.



On Thursday, Oct. 23, Patty and I flew via Denver to Seattle.  Getting a one way rental from there was less than half what it would cost from Portland.  We drove the three hours to Portland and had a nice dinner with Ben and Martha.  We then loaded Shadow into the car and took a short drive to Tualatin OR for the night.  On Friday, we drove south to Corning CA.  Mr. Shadow had the chance to exercise along the way.


On Saturday, we drove on to Pasadena CA.  On the way, we passed both Mt. Shasta and Lake Shasta - the lake level is very, very low due to the continuing drought.  The 14,000+ foot high mountain was quite beautiful.


That is not a blur or a cloud - that was some of the snow blowing on the mountain


We came across an exit for Liberal Avenue and Patty used my phone to take a photo of it while we were driving - you have to look closely to see the sign.


About an hour north of Pasadena on I-5, we stopped at Vista del Lago visitor center.  It overlooks Pyramid Lake and is a really nice museum showing how water is moved from Northern CA to Los Angeles and surrounding areas.






On Sunday, we drove east from Pasadena to Phoenix.  This included going through the San Gorgonio Pass Wind Farm that has more than 4,000 windmills.  We also stopped at a very nice rest area.








On Tuesday, Oct. 28, we had our monthly pot luck lunch for the Tuesday docents.  I made the eight layer salad and dressing from my sister Helen's recipe - everyone raved about it.  The table was decorated with a Halloween theme and a good time was had by all.  We had a guest speaker tell about the new system for signs they are now using for the 50,000 plus plants at the Desert Botanical Garden.






No comments:

Post a Comment