Monday, April 10, 2017

Day Four in Singapore, Monday, April 10, 2017

Today was my nerd day.  Most of what I did would not be of interest to anyone other than a nerd like me.  I had breakfast today at Casa Tartufo, the restaurant in my hotel.  I tried their buffet and was very pleased with the variety.  I chose fresh fruit, some cheese, bacon, a delicious quiche, orange juice and black coffee.  It was not inexpensive, but it was worth it.

I then walked to the post office to mail the postcards I had prepared.  Much to my surprise, postage was inexpensive - $0.60 SD (about $0.42 USD) for airmail back to the USA - a great bargain.

I then set off for my first nerd stop.  Along the way, I came across these interesting sculptures.





My first nerd stop was the School of Business at Singapore Management University - I learned about several of their many graduate level programs, all of which sounded interesting and a lot more specific than the more generalized MBAs that we give in the USA.


Then it was on to the Law School at SMU - I posted some of those photos on Saturday.  I learned about their LLB program based on the British model of legal education, as well as their JD program based on the American model of legal education.  They also have LLM and LLD programs, as we do in the USA, but no MJS or DJS as in the USA.

The Singapore Parliament has a visitors museum where I had the chance to learn more about both the current functioning of their Parliament and the historical development.  By chance, a lady from the US Library of Congress was visiting and we had a brief chat comparing and contrasting the USA and
Singapore.  I posted photos of Parliament on Saturday.

Then I visited the Singapore Supreme Court.  It is in an amazing new building and they are very much in the forefront of digital filing of all court documents.   That dome at the top is not for any court function but rather to let in light, as the building has an open atrium in the middle with offices and courtrooms around the outside of the building.



On my way back to the hotel, I came across this clinic which deals with traditional Chinese medicine.  From what I have learned, some oriental things like acupuncture and meditation have made their way into western medicine just as some surgeries and medications of western medicine have made their way into Chinese medicine.



Back at the hotel for lunch and midday break from the heat, I went through some of the brochures and info I had gathered from my nerd day.  I did not mention, but on Friday, I had also spent some time at the American Chamber of Commerce - among other things, I learned that the USA is the single largest source of direct investment in Singapore, currently about $180 billion USD.







I also finished reading and grading assignments from my Business Ethics Class, emailed students and got them started on the week five assignments.  A productive day, to say the least.

Monday evening, I went out for a walk around dusk, to get some exercise and use an ATM.  I came across this interesting no trespassing sign.  I am sure the NRA would approve.


And now it is time to pack and get ready to leave in the morning.  I have a wake up call at 5:30 and taxi at 6:00 for my 9:00 a.m. Tuesday flight - which due to crossing the dateline means I will arrive in San Francisco at 9:05 a.m. Tuesday, and if the tail winds help to hasten the trip, I might actually arrive before I leave.



No comments:

Post a Comment