Sunday, April 9, 2017

Day Three in Singapore, Sunday April 9, 2017

Sunday morning,  after coffee and class work in my room, I set out for an early morning walk, as restaurants open later on Sunday, with 7:30 being the earliest for breakfast.

The Scarlet Singapore Hotel is on Erskine Road, one block from Ann Siang Hill Road.  I had walked through Ann Siang Hill Park yesterday on my way back to the hotel, but did not see the map until this morning's walk.


I also learned that this had been where a clove and nutmeg plantation had been.


I strolled through the closed restaurants and shops of China Town and discovered that in addition to BBQ pork, BBQ chicken and BBQ beer, they also sold BBQ crocodile, BBQ lobster and BBQ crab. Who knew?


I got back to the hotel and had breakfast at the restaurant in the hotel, Casa Tartufo - yogurt with berries and muesli, toasted baguette with jams and butter, and good strong black coffee.


Now properly fortified, I walked to the Tanjong Pagar metro station, rode the green line to Buona Vista, and then the yellow line to the Singapore Botanical Garden.  The metro station enters out right into the garden.


I spent several hours wandering through many of the paths on the map above.  It is very colorful and lush, there is no cost to enter.  The only cost is to enter the National Orchid Garden, $1 SD (about $0.70 US).




















After about three hours, I took the metro back to the hotel to cool off.  I am always so soaked with perspiration after my morning treks, that I need to hang up all of my clothes to dry out and to take my second shower of the day (I have been taking three, one in the morning before going out, one when I take my midday lunch and nap break, and one before bed).  It is hot and humid here in Singapore - I know that if I was to stay here longer, I would adapt, but on a short visit like this - it is not going to happen.

Sunday evening, I went out about 6:00 (about 45 minutes before sunset) and just wandered around through Chinatown, enjoying watching the many people and businesses that were open.  I eventually found a sidewalk cafe for dinner and had shrimp fried rice and a Tiger Beer.  Tiger is brewed in Singapore and is sold in .633 liter bottles - enough for a little more than two glasses.  Just about right to replenish the fluids I have been sweating out of my body.









No comments:

Post a Comment