Sunday, October 14, 2018

Early Sunday morning in Cordoba, Spain, Oct. 14, 2018

I am staying at Santa Ana Hostal in the old city of Cordoba, with narrow streets and alley ways.  For my early morning walk there was some light rain, but nothing serious.



My morning walk took my past the Mosque Cathedral (Mezquita-Catedral de Cordoba) - it is both large and impressive.



On the south side of it is one of the portals into the old city, which is on the north end of the ancient Roman bridge.



There is the juxtaposition of ancient towers and modern construction.


The west side of the cathedral has many arches.



There is a very large courtyard in the northern half, and even though it was early on a rainy Sunday morning, there were hundreds of tourists in line to get inside (I skipped that).






Did I mention that streets are narrow in the old city? There were places where I had to stop and step aside so that cars could pass.




One aspect of some of these buildings is that once you enter, you find beautiful courtyards inside.  This used to be part of a convent, but is now part of the tourist office.




This weekend is the Festival of the Streets, and the following two weekends are the Flower Festival.



I will have to try the Cordoba Cake.



As in many other Spanish cities and towns, there are many fine bakeries.



No comments:

Post a Comment