Sunday, October 14, 2018

The Royal Botanical Gardens of Cordoba, Sunday morning, Oct. 14, 2018

After a pleasant breakfast of coffee, fresh squeezed orange juice and Spanish toast (two pieces of the largest bread imaginable), I walked to the Botanical Gardens.  On the way, I passed by a large water wheel which at one time was part of one of the mills that ground wheat - Cordoba is in Andulusia, which is known for agriculture.


My route also took me past the Alcazar of the Christian Kings.


And also past a riparian area known for birds.


The regular price for adults for the Botanical Gardens is three Euros, but for seniors it was only one Euro.  They had maps and written guides in Spanish and English.


There were lots of orange trees laden with ripening fruit.



The green houses had a variety of flora from different biomes, including desert plants.



They had a very interesting museum of ethnobotany - many of the tours and exhibits I do at the Desert Botanical Garden in Phoenix involve information about ethnobotany, how people use the native flora.



There were many items in the museum showing how people take advantage of local plants.  One I found interesting was their version of maple syrup from the arce de azucar.


I had a coffee from their outside cafeteria, which is next to the roseleda (rose garden) - so I had to stop and smell the flowers.


They had a series of different types of forests and other gardens as well.  One of the more interesting was the blind persons garden, designed for blind people to touch and smell the plants - and all the signs are in Braille.


After a couple of hours there, I wondered back towards Santa Ana Hostal and found a cafe where I could have a thick Cordoba gazpacho sprinkled with chunks of boiled egg and ham; and of course, a nice cold beer.


No comments:

Post a Comment