Saturday, March 5, 2016

Friday in Santiago March 4, 2016

My schedule for volunteering at the Pilgrims Office was the morning shift (10 - 2) Sunday when I arrived, the afternoon shift (3 - 7) on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.  Thursday I was off and had lunch with Adrian, plus went for a long walk.  Friday was my first full morning shift; I met an extraordinary range of people, including people from Poland, Japan, China, Ireland, Germany, Italy, France and many parts of Spain.  The Polish couple were surprised to meet someone who greeted them in Polish (one of the few things I learned was "Dzień dobry") and that I knew something about Poland.

In the afternoon, I continued to explore the city.  I came across an old record player and posted a photo for my FB friends Christian and Mohzgan - I met Mohzgan and her dad when I was in Yerevan last year with the Fuller Center and they were there so she could get a visa to go to the USA and marry Christian.







































I saw this large structure on a hill that appeared to be several kilometers away.  I discovered that it was the Cidade da Cultura de Galicia.  It is a most spectacular site but also quite controversial, taking too long to build, costing twice the original price and ultimately stopped - it is now a bit of a white elephant as they try to adapt it to uses that will pay for it.



And of course, the pastry shops here try everything from minions to teddy bears.


Friday evening, I was lazy and took it easy, having a couple of beers and a bocadillo con queso.  Another interesting day in Santiago!

No comments:

Post a Comment