Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Friday in Wrocław Feb. 19, 2016

Friday was a mix of snow, sleet and rain.  Instead of walking to the General Thadeusz Kosciuszko Military Academy and Officer School, I took a taxi.  I did not want to arrive all wet from walking the five kms to get there.  I had a nice briefing of their mission and organization, a tour of their small museum and then a tour of the facility, including a turn on the simulator shooting their variant of the AK47.  At the end of my visit, I received a nice gift as a memento.


My way back to the hotel was charted by Google maps and took me past a Polish fire station.  I was reminded of my friend who heads the Fire Science Program at Vermont Tech - so I took a photo for him and emailed it back to Vermont.


Google also led me to the beautiful river walk that parallels the Odra River (Oder River in English).



I came across many signs for Castorama - it is a Polish company with stores that are like Home Depot and Lowes.  I had great fun shopping at Castorama in 2012 when I was in Krakow and Gliwice with Habitat for Humanity.  I sent the photo to Jim, a retired pastor who always rode in the back of the Habitat bus with me; we would get them to stop at the store each morning so we could get the tools and supplies that Habitat lacked at the worksite. 


My five km walked also took me past a Pisaur - this is a public men's room that has two urinals and a sink.  I was pleasantly surprised at the cleanliness and good condition, and of course, had to use the facilities.


Upon my return, I found a restaurant within a block of my hotel and had a late lunch of grilled chicken on a plate of broccoli, cauliflower and carrots.


After lunch, I stopped to take photos of these two huge sculptures/works of art near the hotel.  I estimate the hanger being taller than the city buses and the chair being about 30 feet tall.



After lunch, I did some further exploring of the city.  While the flower market I found earlier was outside, the Hala Targowa had all the shops inside a large multi-story hall, only two blocks away from the modern Galeria Dominikańska that I had found earlier in the week.  If you cannot find what you need in Hala Targowa, you do not need it.






I also came across Katyn Memorial for the 22,000 Polish people executed by the Russians on Stalin's orders in 1940 - a very somber reminder of what people can do in war.



And of course, I came across more gnomes and a nice place for coffee and pie before going off to speak to the Geopolitical Beers group.





Friday evening, I walked the 25 minutes to Fabryka Sensu to lead a talk about the American legal system and American politics for the group known as Geopolitical Beers - I discussed the saga of Mario Ruiz Massieu and the current presidential election.  Here are the two organizers who also helped make sure we had food and drink, as well as a warm, dry location for our meeting.


No comments:

Post a Comment