Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Santiago de Compestela Leap Day, Monday Feb. 29, 2016

Sunday, I had been driven by David and Sosu to the apartment.  On Monday, I had to walk there.  Ruas das Carretas is under construction and closed to cars - but still open to pedestrians.  The builders are doing some very nice work.






There are many connections between Galicia and the Celtic heritage of Ireland and Scotland, including modern day ferry service.  The local language of Galicia, Gallegos, is a blend of Castillian Spanish and Gaelic (and a little bit of Portuguese).  As on my prior trip to Galicia, I came across people playing bagpipes.


I stopped at a local cafe for lunch.  For 3 Euros, I got a Coke Light and a bocadillo con queso (which unexpectedly came with the chips and the two slices of manchego cheese).


On Sunday, except for going to the Caathedral with Sesu to see the tiraboleiros swing the botafumeiro, I stayed in the new office for welcoming pilgrims.  There is space for at most five staff and volunteers at one time, and most times there are only four or three.  But the new Pilgrims Office has a much larger space for welcoming the quarter million pilgrims who come each year to receive the Compestela.  Today, I had the chance to tour the rest of the Pilgrims Office - it is beautiful and includes a small chapel.  Outside, the front courtyard had trees with beautiful blossoms that I thought were some type of rose.  When I posted this on Facebook, I was promptly corrected and educated that these were camellia trees and the blossoms have little or no smell compared to roses - my Facebook comment about stopping to smell the roses was dead wrong.  But the camellias are quite beautiful.





The association which runs the Pilgrims Office has two apartments.  So instead of having the other volunteer Bernard as my house mate, he is in the other apartment.  Both apartments are three bedroom, one bath, and are more than adequate.

Bernard arrived today and planned to start his volunteer shifts on Tuesday, March 1 - the office thought he was beginning on Monday.  Since he had just arrived, I invited him to my apartment where I had made two simple salads, cheese, bread, fruit and alboriño wine.  Being French, he came with red wine, fruit and yogurt for dessert.  We spent a couple of hours talking over dinner and the red wine - he worked for 42 years for what is now BNP Paribus Bank at locations around the world, including French Guyana.  He has visited many parts of the world where French is the language, including Vietnam and other Southeast Asian nations, and Algeria.  Now retired, he has led a very interesting life.

No comments:

Post a Comment