Wednesday, March 9, 2016

My last day in Santiago and then on to Alicante, Mar. 6 - 7, 2016

Sunday was my last day at the Pilgrims Office.  Near the end of my shift, Montse came and gave me a certificate, CD and DVD.  Hugs and kisses all around.  Then I headed back to my apartment for lunch, school work online, and my last day of walking around Santiago.  Sunday evening was doing my personal laundry and packing.  Monday morning was washing the sheets and towels, cleaning the apartment and starting a "Pay It Forward" notebook for the apartment - I left two bottles of wine as gifts for the next volunteers and asked them to both write in the notebook and leave a gift for the volunteers that follow them.  I hope it will inspire others to "pay it forward."

Then it was off to the Santiago airport.  This was my first flight with Ryanair.  I am glad I spent a few extra dollars to get the Business Plus seats in the exit row, plus boarding first and one checked bag.  Their price structure was that paying to check one bag plus economy airfare cost more than the Business Plus that got me the exit row, early boarding and the checked bag.  And it was a zoo at the airport - the line for Business First had only about 10 people - the other 150 people were in one very, very long line.

The flight was exactly on time, a short 90 minutes from the northwest corner of Spain to the southeast coast of Spain - it is the longest possible flight in Spain and it is only 90 minutes.

I took a cab to the NH Rambla Hotel, a very comfortable hotel - I have stayed in NH hotels before and like them.  After getting settled, I headed out for a bocadillo y cerveza and then to explore the Rambla that is perpendicular to the Esplanade - and the Esplanade is this beautiful tiled walkway that parallels the waterfront but on the side of the street away from the waterfront.  On the other side of the street, there is a wide walkway that follows the waterfront for many miles.

From the waterfront side of the street, looking back at the Esplanade and the Tryp Gran Hotel

La Concha (shell) where bands can play to entertain people on the Esplanade

The round-about and statue at the south end of the Esplanade

Although closed at this time of night, there were many permanent stands that sell things on the Esplanade

The marina at night - hundreds of big boats

The marina at night

No comments:

Post a Comment