Sunday, March 6, 2016

Saturday in Santiago March 5, 2016

Rain is a fairly contest companion here. It was grey sky and rain when I started my early morning perambulation at 7:15. By 7:30, the rain had stopped and the sky began to clear. By 7:45, the sky was blue and I could see the moon above the Galician Parliament. By 8:00, the sky was grey and it was raining. When I got back to the apartment at 8:15, I was all wet in spite of the umbrella. Ah, Galicia!!!
















After breakfast and finishing work on my classes, I went exploring again.  This time I walked through the campus of the University and noticed the interesting juxtaposition between the trees in blossom with the others which had been pruned many times to shape them, and which were covered with moss.




I then went into Parque Alameda, a beautiful old park in the city center.  I found a nice spot at a high point to take pictures of the Cathedral and the old city.  I also found some flowers in bloom.






The Pilgrims Office has moved into new facilities.  Only this small room is open so far - most days it is fine even when 15 or 20 pilgrims show up at the same time.  The one day when a group of 100 showed up, it was not enough.



Later this spring, the new office will open - instead of three or four of us working each shift, it will be 15 - 20 staff and volunteers each shift.  And now it is open from 10:00 to 7:00 each day, the week of Easter they change to the summer schedule of 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.  Here is the larger office.







No comments:

Post a Comment