Saturday, June 3, 2017

Hearing Aids in Phoenix, May 24 - 30, 2017

After our return from Ruidoso, NM, we spent a quiet week in Phoenix.  We did not hike to give my foot a rest and because of the heat.  We ran errands and generally took it easy.  The big event was receiving my hearing aids on Wednesday, May 24 - to say the least, it was a real change to adapt to them - it was difficult to wear them for more than a couple of hours a day.  I had a follow up visit on Tuesday May 30 where the little cover made of plastic or silicon was changed to one size smaller - it has made a world of difference, allowing me to comfortably wear them for most of the day.  There still needs to be some tweaking done by the computer, but it is much better now.

The other thing we did was to get the car serviced.  I ended up making multiple visits to Tanner Motors, the local company we use for Volvo service.  One was for an oil change and 50,000 mile service, another for changing the transmission fluid and servicing the air conditioning unit before our summer travels, and a third to install the cargo area cover - we bought the car used and it did not have the cover.  Now, after owning the car for more than a year, we finally have the cover to use as we go on our car trips in the USA and Canada.

And here is a photo of the hearing aids.


The carrying case is about the size of a flip-phone (or a little more than half the size of a cell phone but twice the thickness).  The brush has a magnet to use in installing or removing the batteries.  When not in use, I turn them off by sliding open the hinged door that has the battery; when I am ready to put them in place, the small door with the battery slides into each one and turns it on.  The two buttons on the side control the volume and the mode; alternatively, I can control both with an app on my phone.  The flesh colored piece goes behind my ear while the small speaker goes directly into my ear canal and the little wire keeps it all in place.

One of these days, I will get used to them - I really don't think they improve my hearing much, but time will tell.









No comments:

Post a Comment